[Solved] Help me to install Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by fadingstar, Apr 24, 2017.

1. fadingstar

fadingstar MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2017
    A complete noob here.
    I have Windows 8.1 pro install in my HP laptop and I want to install Windows 10 which I have already downloaded. When I try to create a bootable pendrive by using Rufus i t don't allow me to add Windows 10 iso.
    I am attaching some screenshot of my laptop.

Img1. Processor is AMD A6---

IMG_20170424_103754.jpg
    Img2. Windows 10 iso I have downloaded.

IMG_20170424_103714.jpg
    Img3. In Rufus where "create a bootable disk" is not highlighted.

IMG_20170424_103627.jpg

Please help me to create a bootable pendrive. Thanks

2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    check file system it states exFat should be NTFS

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. fadingstar

fadingstar MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2017
    Thank you for reply.
    Any changes in "partition scheme and target system type"?

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    nope that one is good

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. fadingstar

fadingstar MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2017
    Okay thanks. I'll be back with results how everything goes.
    Thanks again.

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  7. fadingstar

fadingstar MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2017
    @Tito But I don't want to download another 4GB right now. Can't I update this after installing or it don't work like that?
    Please suggest.

8. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @fadingstar

You want to opt for automatic update, then it will download roughly 3 GB. In my opinion, it would be better to download the updated ISO.

9. fadingstar

fadingstar MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2017
    But my current data plan won't allow me to download another 3-4 GB.
    So I will stick with my already downloaded ISO.
    But really appreciate your suggestion.
    Next time I'll ask first and then download any file.
    But I'm gonna need your help for installing this ISO. Please do help me if I get stuck anywhere.
    Thank you Tito, endbase and MDL.

10. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    Mount your downloaded Windows 10 iso image, format your Usb stick at fat32 and copy paste the content of your mounted iso to the stick. No need for using Rufus. Your stick is bootable in a uefi/gpt environment.
    If you only want to update your current system, just make a in-place update : mount your iso image and click on setup.exe in the root of the virtual drive.

11. fadingstar

fadingstar MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2017
    Guys, I tried various combinations in Rufus like "MBR partition scheme in UEFI "and " MBR and GPT combination separately while file system is FAT32 but it just stuck at final part where next button is unselectable and with a warning something like this "Only can be installed on GPT, its MBR".

Tried these settings but it says "Disk is MBR style, Only can be installed in GPT" something like this. I don't know what to do? I want to install without losing my files. Please help me.

I did like you said by formatting pendrive and copying windows in it but nothing happened.

12. fadingstar

fadingstar MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2017
    @Tito I also forget to mention that when I select NTFS in Rufus and choose to boot from pendrive it just reboots normally afterwards to Windows. I can't enter into setup of Windows 10.
    I have also copied my data to hard disk so no fear of losing them now. Can you suggest a quick solution?

13. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @fadingstar

Reboot your PC, press F10 at starting to enter into firmware settings, navigate to 'System Configuration' tab & post a screenshot.

14. fadingstar

fadingstar MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2017
    @Tito

IMG_20170430_135958.jpg
    After selecting Boot Options

IMG_20170430_135929.jpg

15. whizkidraj

whizkidraj MDL Giveaway Organiser

Apr 6, 2012
    Follow these simple steps, mate ;) :-
    First go to bios and press the key that sets the settings of bios to default. In your above post (2nd screenshot), it seems like F9 is the key to do that Setup Defaults. After that reboot your laptop and go to bios again and check if the legacy support is still enabled. It should be enabled.

Now boot into the Windows OS and go the folder where u downloaded rufus. If it was the portable version then delete all the files related to rufus there (to make sure delete changed settings) and now download the rufus portable version again and run it and select the ISO file first by browsing it. Do not do anything else before this.

Now after selecting the ISO file, since ur laptop is in uefi mode, select gpt partition scheme for uefi (in rufus) and click on start. It's not a lengthy process and I do this work all the time. Sometimes I fail, too (coz I help many of my friends with different laptop models, so it takes one try), but I eventually figure it out and do the right thing. So yep, just follow what I said from the start and no problems so should happen again. (Unless u change some settings).

16. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @fadingstar

Thanks for the feedback.

The existing installation was made on legacy style, that's why the HDD was partitioned as MBR. Though it can be possible to convert it from MBR to GPT for UEFI complaint installation without erasing data, I guess that would be bit of a learning curve for you.

As you've already done the data backup, turn off legacy support (Secure Boot can be turned on/off - that's your choice), reboot, start installation from the UEFI complaint boot media, erase all partitions & re-create new which will be automatically done in GPT mode.

17. fadingstar

fadingstar MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2017
    @Tito thanks for replying.
    in this case what should be the setting in Rufus since I have changed it multiple time like FAT 32 to NTFS and vice versa?

18. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    #19 Tito, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    @fadingstar

As I mentioned before:

19. fadingstar

fadingstar MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2017
    Sorry to brother you again but I don't want to get stuck where I can't move further or get back again.
    I have to delete all partition in custom installation and a newly partition will be created automatically or I have to do anything else?