Gtx1070 in pcie x16 + amd 6570 in pcie x4 Need Help

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by LdMad, Mar 3, 2017.

1. LdMad

LdMad MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2017
    #1 LdMad, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    My monitor is plugged into my amd card via dvi. So far as long as my gtx1070 is plugged into my mobo it seems to be my main display device even though it is not plugged into my monitor. If i unplug the gtx1070 from the mother bored the other card works fine while in the pciex4 slot. Is there a way to force my amd card to be the one my system uses by default. maybe this is a linux question.

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Which MoBo is it? What OS are you running?

Is there a way to set the primary Video card in the BIOS?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    If you are not going to be using the GTX 1070 as you said then disable it at Device Manager.

4. LdMad

LdMad MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2017
    #4 LdMad, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    (OP)
    I have the M5a97 r2 motherboard. I now have a completely functioning OVMF PCI passthrough on my linux Host with a windows 10 guest having the amd card in the x4 slot. The linux system is unfortunately stuck with the gtx1070. Things i learned was: (1) you can pass x4 pcie slots to qemu, (2) I did not loose much gpu performance using a low end card in the x4 slot. (3) It is a hassle and maybe impossible to pass primary card to a Guest VM.

5. LdMad

LdMad MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2017
    #5 LdMad, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    (OP)
    I have started another linux thread dealing with my quest for the perfect pci-passthrough linux/windows gaming setup. It is located in the linux section and titled "(pci/peg boot) dual amd+nvidia gpu (qemu-kvm+pci-passthrough) or somthing like that. Here i just want to clarify to one of the other above comments that i did indeed have an option in my bios that may help me pass-through the gtx1070 in the first x16 slot. It is called (PEG/pci boot device) PEG stands for pci express graphics and pci for the other pci slots i guess. since i have a working config with the x4 slot being passed through to vm i am going to install another arch linux system and try the bios feature to change primary gpu boot device. thanks again and sorry to the person who mentioned for me to look for this feature. You were right about it being there. i will try to post back on my results for some sort of conclusion.

6. LdMad

LdMad MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2017
    Has anyone actually used the (PEG/PCI primary boot device) option. If it would have worked i could have passed my gtx1070 in the PCI-e x16 lane to the virtual machine and gamed on windows with that. But the option just would not do s**t. i tried all setings in (mkinitcpio.conf, vfio.conf, modprobe.d,) i also tried all possible monitor configurations with hdmi,dvi,vga, nothing. Im mad that the bios has the option, but it doesnt do what it says. Anyone? Anyone Ever use it?

7. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    No, I haven't. Perhaps you should update the BIOS and see if that feature can be enabled after that.