Good GPS on a budget? (i have no smart phone)

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by dougwa, Oct 20, 2016.

1. dougwa

dougwa MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2013
    I'm a security guard, so you know what that means - if it's not on the dollar menu I can't afford it. lol
    So, I have a six year old TomTom, and it's not exactly wonderful. Often it will get me within a hundred yards and then declare "You have reached your destination" when the desired address still isn't in sight. Also, updates aren't free, and I don't think the old girl is worth spending any $$$ on.
    I'd consider tossing a whole paycheck into a better GPS (ie: preferably $250 or less) but I have no idea what's my best value. I'd like lifetime updates/or else reasonably priced updates, a bigger screen (mine is less than 4"x3") and a better working keypad (my TomTom's touchscreen is crappy). And it has to talk.
    Now I know all you rich people will tell me to buy a nice smart phone, and I would, but a halfway decent data plan is WAY not in my budget.
    Any suggestions?

2. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    You can get an unlocked, lower-end Nokia Lumia phone (520, 521, 530) from Amazon for <$60. It'll have a navigation/GPS app that you can use without a data plan. Just download the maps once via a Wi-Fi connection and then you'll be able to use the app "offline". There are many other tracking/navigation apps you can download for it (via Wi-Fi) and run offline also. There's really no reason (IMO) to buy a dedicated GPS device when you can get one of these phones so cheaply and you'll then be able to do a lot more than just GPS with it.

3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Yeah I'm with PointZero. The dedicated GPS' seem a waste with todays tech. Look for a 2nd hand smart phone or even better a tablet.
    I picked up a 2nd hand Nexus 7 real cheap & use that in my car hanging on a metal coat hanger I cut that sits across 2 air vents. It works really well!
    Just make sure it has gps built in.
    It only had the android os on it but I downloaded igo primo with maps & it works really well...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I agree, I purchased an expensive GPS several years ago, and it never works as I would have expected, Then a about two years after that I got a smart phone so I only used the GPS on open hiways and the smart phone for inner city. Now the car I have has GPS built in and I use that. Tech changes so rapidly why bother sticking with old tech?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  6. dougwa

dougwa MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Whoa, great thoughts to chew on. Use a TABLET, wow what an upgrade... I duckduckgo'd for igo and the itunes store says it costs $29.99 for North America maps, is that all I have to pay or it that just an add-on fee tacked onto the app sale?

7. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello @ dougwa - If you decide to go with a Garmin GPS unit, here's two pieces of advice:

1.) DO NOT buy any model with a 5" screen. For some reason, these screens have always had a problem with pixel loss. When an individual pixel goes dead, it takes out the entire horizontal line of pixels that it's part of. This usually begins at the top of the screen and works it's way downward, resulting in a dark bar at the top of the display. Models with larger or smaller screens are unaffected by this problem.

2.) Make sure to buy a model that includes Lifetime Map Updates and Lifetime Traffic Updates. All of these models have "LMT" as part of the model number. Example: Garmin Nuvi 2689 LMT

8. comtech

comtech MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2011
    #8 comtech, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    you can get an excellent cell phone that has all the bells and whistles for $100us

yes sir it runs gps, sygic hacked and tom tom hacked wich I got from piratebay, no prob,damn near iphone 6 and Samsung 6 quality

the zte, zmax2 and the zmaxpro...they're android phones and have great spec's

I have the zmax2 and it runs everything I throw at it!!

amazon and google are your friend,this thing runs all the games I throw at it

not trying to hijack a thread but I have to say you get more value getting this bad boy than buying a stand alone GPS unit

sheesh,it comes with googles GPS app,wich is fine but I upgraded..lol

comtech