From Windows to Linux / Need help to find best solutions

Discussion in 'Linux' started by AnarethoS, Mar 29, 2017.

1. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi all!

I am a Windows SysAdmin. My company decided to become "DevOps" friendly and decided to move my coworker and me (the third and second oldest Windows SysAdmin) to the Linux team.

We have to put in place Kubernetes (in HA, multiple nodes, masters, etc.) and OpenStack Swift before September of this year.

So, I must become better in Linux.

I have decided, as a personnal project, to migrate my home environment (4 servers, 5 workstations) to a full Linux home (servers and workstation).

So I must "convert" my learning of Windows to Linux and I want to put in place :

- DNS server
    - DHCP server
    - Active Directory + GPO equivalent (central username/password/groups + policies)
    - File servers (with advanced ACL)
    - Web server + Reverse Proxy
    - Terminal Services / Remote Deskto Gateway
    - VPN (PPTP + SSTP)
    - Mail server (IMAP + SMTP = Integrated with the password/accout of the AD or similar thing)
    - Print server

Also, I want advanced stuff like :
    - Cached credential when using a laptop disconnected from the network
    - Offline file sync (both way) between local cache/remote server with a laptop
    - Whole disk encryption (like Bitlocker, so "pass-thrugh" with TPM)

Oh, and the bonus : a central way to manage all that, from a gui/webpage if possible

I need help to choose the best technical solution for all that. Google is my friend but if I can get some answers here and learn from your error/experience, why not?

Also, can all that be achived in a 100% Linux world ?

I would prefer to use Fedora/CentOS for my Workstation/Server since it is what is the more similar to waht I will use for my job (Oracle Linux).

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Don't have much experience on the sysadmin side so can't help with the setup... but from my dealings with others you are on the right track with Fedora and CentOS... having said that, please keep us informed of your progress.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. L0L

L0L MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2011
  4. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
  5. L0L

L0L MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2011
    Actually not dealt with a linux only AD environment. In this odd case, Windows might be the solution to roll with. Keeping in mind, you will never get rid of ALL M$ out of business :tasty:

6. TT_ZX

TT_ZX MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2010
    I always found Dnsmasq to be a great DNS and DHCP server in the past. It does TFTP as well. I do all DHCP, DNS and VPN's with routers from MikroTik now.

I had a go at setting up OpenLDAP a long time ago but never managed to get it working. AD is not something I have needed in the past but it is fast becoming a necessity as the small businesses I manage IT for grow. I'm keen to hear how you get on with this.

I use Postfix and Dovecot for email. I've used Cups in the past for a print server but just use network printers directly from the clients now.

7. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Thanks all!

I will lokke at waht you recommended to me and try to do someting :D