[DISCUSSION] Forum Rules

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by reginakampher, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    it stands atm at 21%, we started an 80-year war against the Spanish when they raised the tax to 10%... we did not get much wiser, in the meantime, btw..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Perhaps we need another rule which states something to the effect that any links to download sites which attempt to trick people into installing malware by means of hidden download managers should be banned. Even if these download managers can be nullified by a checkbox. Often these check boxes are hard to spot, and members could inadvertently download malware. There are plenty of legitimate download hosting sites which do not attempt to trick users into downloading malware. Not everyone who uses this site (MDL) is computer savvy, and astute enough to forgo the downloading of malware from these sites. Downloads should be hosted on sites which do not redirect to advertisements, or try to trick people into downloading unnecessary or unrelated software.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Agreed. However we need more protection, even for the savvy ones. This protection can be easily put in our browsers, for instance: uBlock origin. Which warns and/or blocks malware redirections, etc.

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Then is better just links at all be banned, because mostly all the installers contain anything more, especially freeware installers.

5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Perhaps what's needed is a list of acceptable download sites. Links to any other sites would be removed.

And yes, there will be "installers" inside of installers. When a user posts a link, they should indicate that the optional installers should be unchecked.

Apart from that, anyone who comes here should already be aware of safe surfing practices. (i.e. anti-malware protection, regular cleanups, web site blocking.)

6. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Though the above suggestion is for the good, and would merit my support, unfortunately I see difficulties in applying it.

Firstly, lots of file hosts try to trick free downloaders.
    Secondly, those who don’t, may suddenly change policy.
    And thirdly, it puts extra burden on the uploader who may not know how the download will work. Or, he may reasonably prefer to use a host he has subscribed to. And that’d offputting: an uploader may think, “If I’m going to end up in trouble, damn the upload, let them stay without it”.

Let’s remember that the uploads are for the benefit of others, not so much the uploader, and we don’t want to bite the hand that feeds.

Further, most downloaders (especially of MDL) know about the practice, which is widespread. And those who don’t, can’t get away from having to learn at some time.

Last but not least, the practice is not restricted to file hosts. For example, much freeware is bundled with badware (or calls home with spied data). So are we to also ban mentioning such freeware?

Sorry to have acted as the “advocate of the devil” to this well meant suggestion. :(

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I think the easiest way is to extend rule 3.8

3.8 Topics/Posts containing downloads on filesharing sites that require a premium account to be able to download or a check box to be unchecked in order to download contents without adware or the like are prohibited. Download links which are already available at MDL can be deleted. If you are unsure about, please ask the MDL staff before you post a link.

8. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Maintaining a list of filesharing hosters could be quite productive as well. Lets not forget today Internet is changing at fast pace, so the hosters. I mean those hosters once clean yesterday, today they add a bit of rubbish...

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    That's right. I think it should be the job of the uploader/maintainer to keep an eye on it, because it would be a hard job for the MDL staff to realize it/check any that's used from time to time. But there are hoster such as boxdotcom who remained clean for years..still using it...an alternative would be a torrent.

10. vanelle

vanelle MDL Expert

Sep 22, 2014
    #90 vanelle, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    searching for a needle in a haystack ?

I'm blind ?
    There is really no button "Forum Rules"?
    Or is it the same negligence as the missing DB backups?

I think currently the fewest members are able to find the forum rules at all.
    1 sticky among many other sticky under Announcements and Rules link ...
    ... it is like searching for a needle in a haystack

i suggest a new button on the header near
    Welcome, <member> | Forum Rules | Notifications | My Profile | Settings | Log Out

Such a button would be more important than anyone else here

11. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    You managed to find them as noted by your signature. While feedback and suggestions are welcome, sarcasm is not.

12. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    unless sarcasm is banned, enforcing a rule that does not exist is a personal opinion and unenforcable and overstepping the mark and an abuse of moderator priviledge. only a site owner has that priviledge.

13. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Quite right...... But then no rule has been enforced so no problem.

The trouble with sarcasm is it's a lesser form of Witt and is often not very constructve ;)

14. vanelle

vanelle MDL Expert

Sep 22, 2014
    I would like to apologize to everyone
    who misunderstood my contribution
    It was and never is my intention to be sacastic

The contribution was released by an admin (uncensored authorized)
    I am surprised that everyone is talking about sacasmus

... but i miss any contribution to the matter

15. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #95 lobo11, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  16. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    This is the part that seems sarcastic, no apology needed :)

17. vanelle

vanelle MDL Expert

Sep 22, 2014
  18. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    It's not sarcasm, it's a fact, you did not have a working backup.

Who from management side has stepped down because of this, and do you have a backup system in place now?

I made a question in a thread about the mess created by MDL heads why there was no backup in place, but post had be approved by moderator before it would be published. Never was approved, so it seems you are much better at dodging the important questions, than doing a backup.

19. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    A backup system is in place.

No one has or will be stepping down.

No one is dodging anything.

Overall the MDL mod / admin team do a good job. Free of charge in our spare time. Mistakes happen........ We are human after all.

20. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    #100 wazzock, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    thoughts kept to myself