[DISCUSSION] Forum Rules

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by reginakampher, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It seems there is misunderstanding on both sides. :)
    If you address those who demand the takedowns then I have to say I don't know. This is reflected at the post where I illustrated what happened. (It affected threads which had been at MDL for several months, some more threads for more than a year already). If you address us, then compare what has changed and reread the policy change. It is btw a dynamic process, the team's discussion has no end, we'll constantly apply new measures/ideas if needed.

There is no real communication of those who want something to have removed and sites who provide contents. It is a pure power game where the one who has more power enforces their ideas...furthermore we cannot speak of closely related threads. DMCA applies basically to all copyright related material. This time it affected w7 related contents. We had to comply.

One reason of misunderstanding is that I actually have posted that already. The point is that it is seemingly hard for you to accept.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Lets cool the temp down a bit. I can see why the process will be problematic in nature however that being said I agree with what nodnar had to say concerning DMCA'd threads. To ease confusion can you guys create a page that establishes that:

This thread was DMCA'd
    Subject Concerning the thread
    Time of Takedown
    Author of Thread

I appreciate the current system of warning users not to replicate previously DCMA'd threads. This will make it less confusing as to why such a thread has disappeared while automatically locking it so the people can see where it went.

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #63 Yen, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    I'll create an info thread with taken down threads. Original thread title and date of takedown (if available, else month of takedown only).
    One can clearly notice they targeted w7.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    That's good it will give us a clear picture of what the subjects of the take down are so we can avoid making such pitfalls again. While seeing what future threads may be DCMA'd as well.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It will make clear that there is no recognizable sense in how they choose them....and I can save my explanations....:)why....and what can be next...

6. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    ^^^ that is unfortunate since we seek order and average intellect in the way the world works. Is there no logic?, thank you for reason such as yen. We appear to be on similar sides.

Regards

7. lylic

lylic MDL Novice

May 14, 2014
    I've got it , thanks:clap:

8. Sands

Sands MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2015
    How many posts are need to be able to start a thread?

Thank you.

9. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
  10. dinosaur07

dinosaur07 MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2016
    hello @ all users. I suggest you to revise a bit the rules under section 3.1 especially regarding the PM`s, it seems they are a bit too strict.
    Just saying my opinion don`t shoot!
    :mushy:

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Hello and welcome! :)

The PM restriction has been made to prevent spam via PM.

Without that restriction people can register and mass-PM any member without to have posted at the public.
    The 5 post limit is high enough to prevent spam since potential spammers need to post at the public first.

It is low enough for a real contributor to become a part of the community....

The link restriction is also made to prevent spam. A member can circumvent it, though...if needed to post a link. Just mask the link.

12. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    There are many cyberword and other non-formal words.
    This forum has foreigners. I think non-formal words misguide foreigners. Could you add a rule to prevent somebody upload cyberword and non-formal words?

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    What exactly do you mean by cyberword and non-formal words...:)

14. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    I saw the translated text on baidu translator. The original text was "网络用语” and "不正规的词汇".
    I used translator.But you don't know the meaning.

15. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    A Chinese people told me "btw" is wrong.It's network language. A member of this forum said "btw" means by the way. I saw there are many wrong words in China, too.

16. EmmaRoyd

EmmaRoyd Guest

and wong words too :biggrin3:

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Well Acronyms and Abbreviations are language dependent.
    Since MDL is an international forum we use English the international language..so btw means by the way....

Many come from chats via network since people do not want to type many letters...they are language dependent as well.

CU :)

Yen

18. EmmaRoyd

EmmaRoyd Guest

i do not mind smelling misstakes, but i cannot abide 'txt speak' :blowup:

19. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Perhaps this people WAS Not good at English,TOO.So there are some misunderstandings between we and you.

20. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    In my country btw means pay extra (it's dutch for TAX/VAT) :D