ESX / ESXi Bios Tools

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by pix, Nov 22, 2009.

1. tfboy

tfboy MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2013
    Thanks mightymouse. Easy to miss in a 350+ post thread. Maybe a mod could edit the original post so it's easy to find? :innocent:

2. tfboy

tfboy MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2013
    I've done some testing and it works. What matters most is that the VM is booted from a host that has the SLIC-modified BIOS. As long as it boots from a host with modified BIOS, it works fine.
    I've just tested the following scenarios using VMware ESXi 5.1U2:
    host esxi1: non-modified / standard BIOS
    host esxi2: modified BIOS (I'm using the HP SLIC BIOS as all my physical servers are HP)
    VM has valid certificate and product key installed.

• Boot VM from esxi1: VM is not activated.
    • Migrate VM which booted from esxi1 onto esxi2: VM is not activated.
    • Boot VM from esxi2: VM is activated.
    • Migrate VM which booted from esxi2 onto esxi1: VM remains activated.

So if you have multiple hosts and use vMotion, you have to modifiy the BIOSes of all the hosts to ensure that machines will remain activated no matter which host they boot from :)

3. mightymoose

mightymoose MDL Junior Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Good information, but somehow - I always knew all of that to be true, it just makes sense since the host is giving the machine the SLIC.

FYI - my setup is two hosts running 5.5 and just in case someone is interested, it installs and works perfectly with 5.5 too. VMotion, DRS - all works normally. The only gotcha which I found way back in this thread is to run the bios tools from your local hard drive, not from a network share - or the install script errors out.

Yeah you need to have it on every host but it installs and works perfectly on every versions of ESXi back to 4.1 that I have tested.

Moose

4. EGOvoruhk

EGOvoruhk MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2009
    Has anyone run the tool against 5.5 Update 1 (Build 1623387)?

5. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Yes, I have, it works great.

6. emockler

emockler MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2014
    Hi, I have been lurking here for a while....

But I am trying to mod the ESXi VM bios for something else. I would like to set a passed through PCIe video card to be the primary graphics adapter. But, all the bios mega packs and everywhere else I get one from does not have the option in the menu. I succeeded in crippling the vmware svga, so I get a blank screen in MKS. But I would like to be able to ideally boot even a dos VM and have it run on the PCIe GPU.

I am passing through a HD6450, HD4650, and Nvidia FX5200. In case I have to put the gpu bios in the bios somehow?

I know it's off topic, but ANY help or direction where to look or how to attack this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

7. tfboy

tfboy MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2013
    Hmm, although I have this working, it seems I often need to run it twice on a host for it to "stick", and I haven't been able to identify why that's the case.
    Both times, I do exactly the same procedure and of course I reboot after the first to notice it didn't work, try a second time and after a second reboot, it does work. :confused:

8. bilou_gateux

bilou_gateux MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2008
    Updated ESXi 5.1.0 U2 to ESXi 5.5.0 U2 (Build 1331820)

Applied again quick tutorial (see previous post) using now vmware_bios_mega_pack_385d

Guest VM Windows 7 Professional x86 DELL - OEM
    still activated

Tag: ESXi 5.5.0 U2 (Build 1331820)

9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Does ESXi 5.5.0 U2 (Build 1331820) still use 385d or you just apply older BIOS to never build? (making something possibly not work as expected in the process?)

sebus

10. berrmich

berrmich MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2009
    The link is dead for the tools. Anyone have a new link? Thanks!

-Mike

11. EGOvoruhk

EGOvoruhk MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2009
    Has anyone tried the tool with the pre-release versions of 6 yet? They ran an open beta for a while. The final version should be coming fairly soon

Edit: Figured I'd just answer my own question:
    View attachment 33549

12. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    For those interested, ESXi 6 final just released for download...

13. joatmon

joatmon MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2010
    This tool works on vSphere 6.0 GA released today.

14. pix

pix MDL Member

Nov 3, 2008
    v2.1.1 has be re-upped on the first post after disappearing during the mishap.

Confirmed working with 6.0U2 and probably works with 6.5. Please report back here with your findings, positive or negative.

15. Turbotim

Turbotim MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2016
    Hi Pix,
    I'm having trouble extracting the bios440.rom, I have ESXi 6.5.0 4564106, when I run EsxBiosTools V2.1.1 I get the following output, please could you assist (apologies for the below, I cant screenshot):

14/12/2016 22:45
    Getting bios440.rom from remote server
    --------------------------------------
    VMware ESXi 6.5.0 build-4564106
    ESXi server detected. This could take a while...
    Cleaning up temp files
    # rm -R "/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/vmvisor-sys/"
    # rm -R "/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/tmp/"
    Creating temp folders to unpack s.v00
    # mkdir "/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/vmvisor-sys/"
    # mkdir "/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/tmp/"
    # mkdir "/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/tmp/vmvisor-sys/"
    Copying s.v00 from Bootbank folder
    # cp /bootbank/s.v00 "/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/vmvisor-sys/sys.gz"
    Gunzipping sys.gz to vtar file
    # gunzip "/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/vmvisor-sys/sys.gz"
    Converting vtar to tar using vmtar
    # vmtar -x "/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/vmvisor-sys/sys" -o "/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/vmvisor-sys/sys.tar"
    invalid vmtar magic '��J���%t7&�Q���YVG�]�ԩ[TCe��*��Zil��a�
    [ ("��m��1Wx9�Y�ؖ����[�CK ���X�b۔y�bh|@h-�e�]��d��Nx����m/#S-��ֵU��k}ԑ �N���cCo�w0C����b!�OnV
    �Bd�2�����ag�T����8\�g��F�h@8��Mk]$�˂\,��@�"Z�i��H�/
    c���iO�av̚�:�2�*�m��i��N�r��H��T'
    Untarring files to /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/vmvisor-sys
    # tar xf "/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/vmvisor-sys/sys.tar" -C "/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/tmp/vmvisor-sys/"
    tar: short read
    Getting host fingerprint
    Error getting host fingerprint
    Getting vmx using scp
    Error transferring vmx file:
    Operation failed and took 81.54 secs

Thanks

16. ADB

ADB MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2009
    It looks like the tool doesn't work with ESXi 6.5. I built a server the other day and tried and get the same error you posted.
    It does work with the latest patch for 6.0 though.

Cheers
    Andy

17. pix

pix MDL Member

Nov 3, 2008
    #379 pix, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    (OP)
    Thanks for bringing this to light.

There is now an intermediate step required between "Gunzipping sys.gz to vtar file" and "Converting vtar to tar using vmtar".

The file needs to be xz uncompressed and the corresponding reverse step needs to be added when the vmx file is injected.

The beauty of the json setup is that anyone can implement this so I'll leave it as "an exercise for the reader".

edit:

It's not as simple as it first looked. s.v00 is now a gz wrapped xz archive with a signature (/usr/share/weasel/s.sigblob) appended. Unless the signature check isn't yet implemented or there is an easy way to disable it, the method we currently use is dead for v6.5+.

18. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    I am surprised it did last as long as that...