Do you play any musical instruments?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Katzenfreund, Sep 21, 2016.

1. HankMarvin

HankMarvin MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2016
    I play guitar and bass to a reasonably high standard. I mostly play folk and blues but have been going electric recently and getting a bit more rocky and rockabilly. I play in a couple of different bands and as you say, it has enriched my life greatly. Playing with others is great fun and playing by yourself is awesome therapy.

2. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    For those who think they’re too old to learn a musical instrument, I’ll relate the following story by an instructor of life & time management.

“Once, a friend of mine asked me: Since you are an expert in these matters, I’d like your advice. So, I always wanted to play the piano. But while I was a kid I had to go to school, then work to support my poor family, then got married with kids, so I never had free time or money for it. Now my kids have left house and I finally have time and money for accomplishing my dream, but in the meantime I’m 50 years old. What would you advise me to do?
    Certainly learn the piano, I replied.
    He came back: But to learn the piano at my age would require 10 years, and in 10 years I’ll be 60 years old.
    To which I replied: In 10 years you’ll be 60 anyway, and you won’t be able to play the piano.”

3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Michaela: :D :D :D !!!!!! :D :D :D

I like the bit "when I was younger" especially... :D Apparently, one becomes better at it as one gets older - the teeth are no longer in the way... :D

You have a PM, btw... ;)

From a guitarist... :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MikalE

MikalE MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2016
    I have been playing guitar for the last 40 years and piano for almost 50. There are various guitars sitting around here from Turner, Gibson, Epiphone, and Taylor among others. My piano is a Yamaha YDP-162. I could never afford the C7 I want.

5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @MikalE: Are you Classically or Jazz trained?

@Gorski: MP3 sent. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Unfortunately, I have no musical talent what so ever.
    I can't even sing :( I know I can't sing because people that hear me try to sing tell me that I can't sing

7. MikalE

MikalE MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2016
    Classically trained, but I don't play a lot of it.

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Me, three :D Classics like Hendrix and whatnot... :p

Great sound of keys, Michaela!!! Nice groove, melike these, too! ;) Cool snapshot!

(I luv working with good keys players, always have, so if I - by a miracle - end up in NY... see ya! :) )

9. NavyRet

NavyRet MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2016
    I have played (in this order)

1. Accordion - 5th grade through high school
    2. Clarinet - high school and college
    3. Trombone - college
    4. Piano high school through middle age until arthritis forced me to stop

I think I enjoyed the clarinet the most because it was done with others in a band or orchestra.

10. Awake659

Awake659 MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2017
    I play Bass Guitar, studied Music until Degree level and now I am studying Software.
    Making money or having a stable job with Music is tough. I appreciate people who make this work for them.

P.S I was inspired by MUSE's Chris Wolstenholme, Bass playing as well as the godly Flea from RHCP!

11. iammanisha

iammanisha MDL Novice

May 9, 2017
    i can play guitar and drum also.