DMI Boot CD for Award-AMI-Intel BIOS (Add SLP1.0 w/o modding)

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by 911medic, Jul 14, 2009.

1. doug1962

doug1962 MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2011
    If it is possible for you to reflash the bios again, you could try that and then try re-installing from your recovery cds and if it lets you re-install then apply the patch sp37394.exe before installing SP3.

2. MR. HAPPY

MR. HAPPY MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2014
    I have reflashed my BIOS, but unfortunately the BIOS available on the HP website for my model doesn't include the information needed for the recovery DVD's to work. The BIOS available on the HP website changed or erased necessary information that my recovery DVD's look for as soon as I flashed it the first time. It's really ridiculous that HP gets away with doing that. My recovery discs worked fine until I flashed my BIOS with the one on the HP site. I created the recovery set just a week ago and it worked fine until I updated the BIOS.

I will try Urie's suggestion, but I'm guessing that all the software and games that came with my PC won't be included in the basic XP Media Center iso. So, all of the files that I've backed up (including pictures) that are only view-able with the programs that are on my recovery DVD's won't open, and there were literally tons of awesome games included too. I guess I'll find out when I'm done. Thanks for the advice and the links guys. I truly appreciate it. I do wish I could have fixed my BIOS though so that I could get my recovery discs to work.......It's bugging the sh*t out of me that I can't get that BIOS right so the Recovery discs will work.........Da*n HP.......

3. MR. HAPPY

MR. HAPPY MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2014
    The backup DVD's can't be downloaded, but I made them prior to formatting the entire hard drive from the recovery partition before formatting the hard drive. Then I used them once 2 weeks ago and they worked fine. Then I installed the BIOS update and had problems afterwards installing Windows SP3, so I went to use the backup recovery DVD's and they didn't work, so I guess the BIOS update from HP erased important data in the BIOS that the recovery DVD’s look for. If I'm able to access my backup recovery discs contents on my other machine, what folders/files would I look for in the backup DVD's to find out what the DVD's are looking for in the BIOS?

Using the DMI tool, I already see that the UUID is all 1's.........32 of them. I don't see the product key anywhere and I don't know where to put it. The serial # is missing and so is the asset tag and OEM Strings 1-16. The version is missing too and so is the SKUNumber, but I'm not even sure what is supposed to be in each of those places or which areas the recovery discs look for before they will work. I have all the stickers on my machine still, but I don't know what numbers/letters go where in the BIOS in order to make the recovery DVD's work again. I still can’t believe HP would put out a BIOS update that erases that important info……..

4. MR. HAPPY

MR. HAPPY MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2014
    Okay, I reflashed BIOS.......UUID is there. I just need to know what areas of DMI the recovery discs look at. When I flash the BIOS with the HP BIOS update several areas of the DMI are erased and left blank, like the motherboard serial #, system serial #, system version, etc. I have the serial #'s, but I don't know what to put in the other areas, like the version. I've tried so many different combinations, but the recovery DVD's keep saying they're not for my system........yet they are.

5. MR. HAPPY

MR. HAPPY MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2014
    I used SLIC_ToolKit_V3.2 and it said there is no SLIC..........How do I install the correct SLIC so that my recovery discs will work?

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    SLIC is needed for NT 6.x OEM:SLP activation; it is not needed for XP.

7. MR. HAPPY

MR. HAPPY MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2014
    What is needed in the BIOS to make my Recovery dvd's work? I was able to use SLIC_ToolKit_V3.2 to do a memory dump of SLIC, yet it says it's not found when I'm on the main screen......no certificate either. When I insert my recovery DVD's it says "These PC Recovery discs do NOT support this PC model". Yet I made the recovery set from the computer 2 weeks ago and the recovery set worked fine prior to flashing the BIOS to the most updated version from the HP website for my model.

8. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Again: There is nothing like a SLIC for XP activation! What you need is the correct SLP 1.0 string in BIOS/DMI.

SLIC is needed for: Vista/Server2008 (2.0), Win7/Server2008R2 (2.1), Server 2012 (2.2), Server 2012R2 (2.3).

The recovery disc probably looks for the exact model string of your machine.

9. MR. HAPPY

MR. HAPPY MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2014
    Okay. Is there a way to find out what the exact model string of my machine is? It still has all the stickers on it, including one with "bid=......"

10. MR. HAPPY

MR. HAPPY MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2014
    Also, while doing some research last night I came across a post from someone that has the same PC and model as I do and they listed their exact model string........but using the DMI BIOS TOOS CD from the first page of this post I don't seem to be able to add more than one string line using the command dmi /o........whenever I try to create string line 2 it just overwrites the first one instead of creating a second line. DMICFG doesn't work with my machine either.......I tried it. Is there another program I can use to insert the string lines for my machine? It appears to need 3 lines. I have an AWARD-PHOENIX BIOS VERSION 3.10 12/13/2006 CORE VERSION 6.0.

11. MR. HAPPY

MR. HAPPY MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2014
    :) I just found a file on Recovery disc 1 called "dmiinfo" and it appears to have all the info that the Recovery disc looks for, including the exact model string of my machine and a serial # that is different from the sticker on my machine, yet the machine was purchased brand new and not refurbished....go figure....lol. The serial # is close, but not exact. Everything else matches the stickers on my machine. Does anyone know of a more up to date version of the DMI TOOLS iso than the one on page 1 of this post so I can put all 3 lines of my string in my BIOS?

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  13. MR. HAPPY

MR. HAPPY MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks Tito. I tried the DMIScope. All I need to do is change my UUID now, but the program won't do it unless I buy it, and unfortunately I can't afford it. Too bad the DMI Tools iso cd doesn't allow for manual entry of the UUID........or at least not that I could tell.

14. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Check PM.

:hug2:

15. newbtoo

newbtoo MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2014
    I am in a real bind now. My recent (2 yr old) HP desktop developed a problem with motherboard (it works but USB on it is failing). Since it is under the warranty HP wanted me to send the computer for some 2 weeks repair. Ultimately they send motherboard to me but they did not include DMI tools and are refusing them. I can find some older Phoenix dmi tools on line, but I am having troubles with Insyde H20 for desktop and laptops of more current production.

The desktops I need it for are Envy H8-1437 and m7467.
    Please help.:confused:

16. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  17. newbtoo

newbtoo MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2014
    @Tito - thank you for the links - very helpful, but I need HP DMI Tool kit for desktops something more recent (2011-2014).

18. Xtremetic

Xtremetic MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2014
    Source for download of HewlettTattoo_AMI8.iso

As the original poster has long abandoned this thread and his links to downloads are dead I had to find another source for HewlettTattoo_AMI8.iso and I located it at 4shared.com/get/f7iDmBgTce/HewlettTattoo_AMI8.html. You need to use a 4shared premium link generator to download the file. I used this one 4shared.adlwap.com