[DISCUSSION] Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16179 (PC)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by antonio8909, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Leopeva64

Leopeva64 MDL Expert

Oct 4, 2016
    You disable telemetry and those other things that you mention on insiders builds?
    Do you know what the insider program is for?

2. daveo76

daveo76 MDL Expert

Nov 9, 2009
    What is the use of installing Insider Builds when some strip stuff of it.

3. Captain Zilog

Captain Zilog MDL Junior Member

Feb 16, 2010
    To ensure we still can!

4. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    So, you read a post somewhere about "telemetry" and concluded that Microsoft knows what sort of Pizzas you eat, really cares a lot about that, and is preparing to blackmail you about your unseemly preference for anchovies, and then you read another post somewhere else that tells you that DWS_LITE.EXE keeps you safe from that horrid peeping...So...do you feel safe now?....:D Snug as a bug in a rug?o_O

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    ^ ROFL - quality post. :roflmao:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Telemetry is all around us. It can not be stopped. It is as prevalent as the air we breathe. It has become the integral part of any decent OS. Telemetry is used to obtain data on the internal functioning of missiles, rockets, unmanned planes, satellites, and probes, providing data on such factors as position, altitude, and speed as well as conditions like temperature, air pressure, wind speed, and radiation. Weather forecasters rely on telemetry to map weather patterns. Astronauts on the space shuttle are monitored with telemetry that measures and transmits readings on their blood pressure, respiration, and heart rates. Similar kinds of telemetry are used by biologists to study animals in the wild and keep track of their populations and movements. Telemetry is also widely used in modern agriculture, often to regulate irrigation.

7. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    They worry that Microsoft is logging their keystrokes, yet they are fine with a DVR that reports every channel they have surfed to, a phone that reports every place they have ever visited, and a smart tv that lets people listen to them and maybe even watch..

8. antonio8909

antonio8909 MDL Guru

Feb 16, 2014
  9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Friday will be a new build, if i read dona's posts correctly ;)

10. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    Oh dear, Prosto has taken control of Enthousiast's account.

11. Captain Zilog

Feb 16, 2010
    No, I've likely been doing this sort of thing since before you were born to get the most out of my machines.

My phone runs Java, so, no Google telemetry there...

Don't want my world domination scheme being discovered!

12. Captain Zilog

Feb 16, 2010
    Never assume...

No DVR - I download what I wish to watch.

My phone runs Java - no Google/Crapple bulls**t.

Dumb TV with an Android Media Player.....

Done assuming?

13. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    Yes, and in the US it's as if people have total amnesia when it comes to the IRS (which knows all), their phone and cable companies, their banks, their credit-card companies and the waiter at last night's dinner outing who swiped one of their credit cards, and the other waiter at the bar who also swiped (also swiped Zarathustra), and the hordes of people who know who they are and where they live and how much cash they have in the bank, etc. ad infinitum! How about the drugstore chains that keep written records of all the drugs they buy and consume? So many entities in modern society retain so much information on people that actually identifies them by name, address, and phone number--if not Social Security numbers and the like. And yet...and yet despite it all, for them the giant, darkly profane presence of "Windows 10 telemetry" *gasp* overshadows all of that, somehow! Suddenly, making sure that they can hide their pizza orders from the Ominous Microsoft Eye which leers at them 24/7, seeking to unmask every single pizza topping they have ever eaten *shudder*, overtakes their reason, their emotion, and their very souls as they panic like kitchen roaches fleeing in terror when the light comes on! (Melodramatic enough?...:D) It's actually a remarkable glimpse into human psychology, I think.

People seem to have an innate desire to learn that evil forces surround them and seek to do nothing but harm them in some way. Still, it's just too bad that people are so gullible about all of these innocuous, utterly harmless flows of information surrounding them--there is so much of it, quadrillions of cyberspace-weighted tons of it, that mere individual people rarely if ever even exist inside the flow...;) Indeed, "the entities residing at this IP address once ordered a triple-stacked anchovy delight from Madagascar" is certainly not even close to being "personally identifiable information" about a person, and such information about a single individual would be completely worthless. Outside of the immediate context, the information reveals nothing of importance, especially compared to the information collection listed in my first paragraph above. But people can trot on down to their local courthouses and take a gander at the publicly accessible information stored there about them by name, etc. and etc. ad infinitum.

Windows 10 "telemetry"? A vapor on the wind. In terms of privacy concerns, it just doesn't rate at all on the reality scale, imo.

14. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Lol...I think you are troublemaker. Just kidding though. :D:D:D

15. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    People just want to cling to any privacy they can.

16. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    Does anyone know the difference between these 2 builds compiled on same day ?
    Might one of them be next Insider build ?
    10.0.16183.1000 (rs_prerelease.170420-1046)

10.0.16183.1001 (rs_prerelease.170420-2208)