[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. Alan641

Alan641 MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2016
    #8021 Alan641, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Following the installation of the Windows 10 64-bit Creator Update I appear to have reinstalled WMC v12 (64-bit) with the installation not throwing up any error messages (I had to run the uninstall cmd, reboot and then run through the full install). However, when trying to open WMC nothing happens: no error message, no momentary splash screen, absolutely nothing. Any advice gratefully received.

2. Autarkis

Autarkis MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2015
    Unfortunately, I have the same experience :( Will deploy option WMC?

3. rhahgleuhargh

rhahgleuhargh MDL Member

Feb 9, 2015

Hello,
    Did you uninstall WMC before upgrading to Creator's update ? If not this is why it doesn't work. Use version 8.8.1 uninstaller, reboot, reset your settings and check again.

4. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I do not uninstall WMC prior to update. After update I run _TestRights.cmd as admin. I paste in path to \bin\uninstall.bat. I then reinstall the normal way. I do not even reboot. It should work. It does for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Alan641

Alan641 MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2016
    #8025 Alan641, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    I did not uninstall WMC before the Creators update just as I didn't uninstall any other software - why would I? However, I have now resolved the issue. Installer v12 would not work no matter what I tried. v8 has worked and I have now finished setting up WMC and all seems fine once again.

6. annapurna

annapurna MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2017

Bacause V12 uses some DISM tricks that no other part of the OS uses, not to mention normal SW other than OS components.

I guess you know that WMC isn't supposed to be in W10

Aside that in place upgrades have halways been tricky for WMC, since the XP days. Sometimes config data are imported correctly sometimes they arent.

The WMC recovery task is there for a reason, the small script to reset your settings does the same job with one click.

If WMC instal correctly but doesn't start, all you have to do is to reset your data. One click.

V8 is more "dumbproof", it doen't keep the config data when uninstalling, and doesn't use DISM tricks at all

7. amoutie

amoutie MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2015
    I share my experience with all those who have problems with 1703 Win 10 and WMC. I had WMC 8.8.1 on AU 1607, all working perfectly. Then I upgraded to CU 1703, without uninstalling WMC, and WMC didn't work anymore. I simply uninstalled it via uninstaller.bat from 8.8.1, then test_right and installed again, now it works again without problems.

8. bb193

bb193 MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2016
    I was using MCE 10.0.10134.0 (UK, DVB-T OTA Freeview) which had been working fine. Upgraded to Creators edition of Win 10 and MCE won't run, and I get a couple of errors in the event log about ehsell.exe faulting. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling and no luck :(

It sounds like people are recommending v8.8.1, and using the uninstall/reinstall process from that. Is that right? Any chance someone could point me in the right direction about where I can go to download 8.8.1?

9. darkradeon

darkradeon MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    I did the same. no issues at all.

10. amoutie

amoutie MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2015
    Top of the thread, first post, you'll find everything you need. There are a couple of txt files inside the 8.8.1 zip, read them first in order to know what to do in case, then ask here if you got problems.

11. bb193

bb193 MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2016
    Thanks for the replies. Incidentally, I found that my source of MCE was not the V10, but was actually 8.7 (to my shame, my records got a bit confused as I scrambled to make it work again after Anniversary update a year ago). I used the uninstall in 8.7 and reinstalled, and it seems to work perfectly now. I'll tidy up my records, and I'll also seek out 8.8.1. It looks like MCE has survived another major update! :biggrin:

12. BlinZk

BlinZk MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2017
    #8032 BlinZk, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Hi guys,

Can someone tell me what's the latest WMC version available, and where can i get it?
    I was on page 1 of this topic, but am not sure it's the latest.

Thx!:mushy:

13. amoutie

amoutie MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2015
    Last version is 8.8.1

14. mat71

mat71 MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2016
    #8034 mat71, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Hi, can anyone get the Night light feature from the Creators edition update working when mc is in fullscreen mode? I'm using the 8.8.1 version installed after the creators update and the night light works fine when mc is in a window, but stops working when in fullscreen modeo_O Is there a simple fix for this? Thanks:mushy:

15. annapurna

annapurna MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2017
    Use Actual Multiple Monitors as suggested by TS many times.

16. thedriver

thedriver MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2007
    I tried installing the v12 and even though it seemingly installed successfully, I couldn't find Media Centre anywhere. I ran the uninstaller for v12, then installed v8.8.1 and it works like a charm.
    My post count is too low to be able to post links, but if you go to the OP on the first page of this thread, then click on the the link next to Alternative Branch: Original .7z Installer, the download link is at the end of the post.

17. aremdee

aremdee MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2016
    As my first post I do need to say a big thank you to all involved in porting WMC to Win10 and for those assisting people like myself in doing what Microsoft decided they wouldn't do. A little history. I have had WMC running as sweetly as up until the first Windows10 updates hit this year. And like others, after the update I have not been able to get WMC working. In frustration I resorted to installing MediaPortal2 which gave me the WMC feel (after formatting and reinstalling Windows 10 but failing with WMC), however it doesn't give me the same functionality that WMC did in the past. I'm not after a cable connection either, WMC lets me watch and record free to air easily as well as watch the odd movie too. I'm sure Media Portal 2 will get there but it doesn't feel like it's quite ready for prime time yet.

I've been reading how some have had success with version 8 rather than version 12, but I can't install 8 as my system is 32bit rather 64 (unless I've missed something). Are there alternatives I could try or some troubleshooting tips to help me get WMC back up and running. Have uninstalled version 12, rebooted and tried to reinstall with a DISM error message of 0x800f0922. Don't know where to go from here so any help is certainly appreciated. Thanks.

18. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    #8038 crash2009, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Have a look at page 1 release history spoiler that will tell you which versions are available in 32-bit.

Not sure if I'm reading this right. If you need to determine if you are 32 or 64 research the model of your CPU.

No suggestions for 32 bit I tossed all mine years ago.

With 64-bit when we had problems with V12 we used the uninstaller from V8 then reinstalled v12.

19. mat71

mat71 MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2016
    Thanks for your answer annapurna Actual Multiple Monitors works a treat for that.:clap:

20. aremdee

aremdee MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2016
    Thanks for the reply. System is definitely 32bit. Only 4GB of RAM so never thought to install 64bit. Could probably reformat and reinstall Windows 7 but feels like a backward step. Any thoughts as to why I can't install though. It worked previously so am unsure where to go from here. When I reformatted I was told I could only use the digital activation for the bit set I originally upgraded from. Activation worked so maybe I could ask that question again to see if I can get it to activate as 64bit. Still if there are any other thoughts it may save me the time in doing that. By the way the help is much appreciated.