[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. mwpeterson

mwpeterson MDL Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Well, there is a little more urgency on the cablecard problem. KB3192441, today's cumulative update to 10586.633, broke my HDHomerun Prime on two computers with 1511. I noticed that msdri.dll was removed from windows\system32. With the update WMC behaves like on the Anniversary Update. My OTA tuner was unaffected. Uninstalling the update fixed the problem.

Hopefully comparing before & after the update can lead to a fix.

2. jessie

jessie MDL Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Same here MS screwing us again :mad:

3. jmsnyc

jmsnyc MDL Junior Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Lots of issues tonight....
    I tried reinstalling 8.81 on a 2nd machine. It recently updated to 393. Worked but have guide issues. The wierd thing is it downloads guide data for like the first 5 channels and then stops. Tried sfc /scannow. Reinstalled.

My other issue , on my main machine recordings are not saving. The shows I record are listed in the schedule to record.

Also, do I have to worry about playready or dca if I am not using cable?

4. WkWk

WkWk MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2016
    Hi All,
    just wanted to share my experiences, hopefully someone will find it useful as I have been through the pain of reinstalling on a few machines now

1. If you can get a fresh install do it, and run all the updates including anniversary edition, then install V12
    2. If you have previously installed any version of v12, windows does a large update and after the update it wont run it tends to leave info in c:\windows\ehome, however it's not the complete package, so an sfc /scannow, followed by an install, reboot, uninstall, and then install tends to work. Something that also changes is when installing using a different locale and then updating to anniversary edition tends to add a default language in eg en-us or en-gb. The language has to be removed and the region changed and forced to the locale you want it to be.
    3. If your computer does do the anniversary edition update, do a reinstall of the os however select keep your files and then perform the above it should get it going, it can be much simpler than running through multiple sfc /scannow commands.
    mcebackup 3.0 still runs in windows 10 and is quite useful for the recording lineup

5. schweensen

schweensen MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2016
    #7365 schweensen, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017

Hi,

sorry, but i not understand, work this too with a dlink dma 2200?
    where can i download the right version of the Mcx2Prov.exe?

thanks and greets,
    schweensen

6. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015
    There was some talk about the DMA2200 at the time of the Meluvalli discovery. I don't think anyone succeeded.

7. Tree 5

Tree 5 MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2015
  8. BigDuck

BigDuck MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2016
    Hi, I'm new here. I can't get the V8.8.1 file, the link does not give me the option to uncheck the "use our download manager". It just goes to the "BAD" download option.

9. furtilizer

furtilizer MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2010
    does anybody has a direkt download link (no registration) to mcbackup 3.0 (32bit/64bit)?

10. furtilizer

furtilizer MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2010
    @Bigal: Thank you!

11. dodgemotorsports

dodgemotorsports MDL Novice

May 23, 2016
    Happened to me too. Removed cumulative update kb3192441. Rebooted. Ceton infinitv usb 4 now working with media center again. w10 version 1511. wmcv12

12. sandyclarissa

sandyclarissa MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2016
    Hello everyone. I'm a 61 year young lady and this is my first post on a forum ever. I sure hope I'm doing it correctly. I joined a couple weeks ago because I'm looking for Windows Media Center for this new computer with Windows 10. My old one with Windows 7 died. I mainly use the computer for watching and recording my TV shows and a little email. I've read over a hundred pages so far and cannot find a link to the latest Media Center build, I think it's version 12. Can someone help me with a safe link to click on? I would be really grateful. Also, I would like to thank all you wonderful people who are working so hard on this Media Center project. BTW, I do know my way around the insides of the older computers (dos windows, regedit, etc.) but haven't have Windows 10 long enough to know for sure about that. Again, thanks.

13. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Damn! It's almost 1GB!, hard to figure what's the offending file/setting this way

Anyway Total Uninstaller can be used to have a list (and a backup) of the replaced files and registry settings.

People who ask "how I can help?" can try this

Start from a working W10, install total uninstaller, start monitoring an installation, and install the update.

Let the update finish (a reboot is surely needed), close the total uninstaller monitoring, then save the backup.

Rollback the installation using the official methods, and test the WMC again (it should work again)

Then open the TU backup with 7zip and patiently start to replace back the updated files, (one by one or in small groups) until you will find what breaks the WMC.

Surely not a 5 minutes task, but looks like the only way, and possibly will shed some light on the anniversary edition problem as well.

14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    No need to read the whole thread. V12 and V8.8.1 are the two latest builds. Both are linked on the first thread, w8.8.1 is linked on my signature as well (read carefully the download instructions)

Keep in mind that both of them aren't working for people in the US who use a cable card device on the latest W10 build (1607 aka 14393), and (really fresh news) on fully updated (1511 aka 10586) build, read few messages back.

15. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. sandyclarissa

sandyclarissa MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2016
    Thank you! I have it downloaded now but will spend a week or two going through all I can find to read in the threads before proceeding with an install. I read slowly so it could be a while. I will check back in the future to let you know how things are going.o_O

17. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    I would advise to anyone taking the plunge to make a disk image before doing anything. if you mess up, re image and start again.

18. TOFnow

TOFnow MDL Junior Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Welcome to the Discussion!

If I read correctly you have a "new" Windows 10 installation. It is important to know which version (build) of Windows 10 you have to successfully install and enjoy WMC if you are using a cable card tuner such as those found in HDHomerun Prime or Ceton equipment. In my experience, with the HDHomerun installed as tuners for WMC the Windows 10 OS build code should not be greater than 10586.589. An easy click way to find out is Settings/System/About.

So far any other OS build greater than that on my machines e.g. 10586.633, 14393.xxx, will let me install WMC but never find the tuners to enable playing copy protected (DRM) channels. Using HD HomeRun View allows viewing of non DRM channels offered by my cable provider without using WMC.

I have rolled the 10586.633 back to 10586.589 only to find the automated update put the "bad" version back so I rolled back again and, although not a good practice, for the time being I have Stopped updates so that my WMC works. I could go back to Windows 8.1 (dual Boot) for WMC but not for now. Anyway, Good Luck and have fun combating Microsoft! :D

19. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012