Dell bios recovery procedure (confirmed)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by danwalmsley, May 4, 2010.

1. adnahmed

adnahmed MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2012

It looks you need to use "c:\" this command before rename hdr..
    because your command cannot find the file there.

2. emadmekawy

emadmekawy MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2014
    i need hdr file for precision m4500 please

3. mehy

mehy MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2014
    i have dell optiplex 9020 with service tag B5F2KZ1 i downloaded bios update O9020A07.exe and intalled it when computer shutdown it went in sleep and no up again fan is working and prossore but screen give me black and no start beep i need hdr file for this update or old one i cant convert from win7 or 8 or xp

4. OrhanAdar

OrhanAdar MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2014
    Can anybody help me with Dell E5420 and E5430 ?
    I have now extracted the HDR file and dont now how to name it.
    Can i just open the HDR file with WinHEX or should i decode it to ROM or BIN and den decrypt it to get a name?
    Without decrypting, when i use WinHEX on HDR file i can only se HDR in one place and there is only PFS.HDR, is that the name?
    Becouse when i try that, nothing happens.

I have tryed to remove harddisk, batteri and power cable.
    Put USB memory 128MB FAT with HDR file in USB port.
    Press END and connect power cable.

But computer wont turn it self on, i have to press ON to start the computer and then it just starts normally.

What am i missing? Maybe its not END button? Name of hdr maybe isnt PFS.HDR ?

Please help :(

5. filipinho

filipinho MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2014
    Hi,

I am trying to flash bios on my xps l421x but I can`t get that l421x.bin file extracted from .exe file. Can you plese tell me how you did it or even maybe send me that file.

Thanks a lot!!

6. johnalvin

johnalvin MDL Bios Modder

Sep 3, 2007
    Extract your bios using winrar, you will find the uncompressed isflash.bin. Rename it according to your bios recovery name use andyp's tool to check your recovery name.

Good luck sayo!

7. filipinho

filipinho MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2014

Hi, thanks for your response, I did everything as explained and flashing was going ok but laptop just didn`t restart. Fan on full all the time and after a while it started beeping. Same thing happend to user named nruri as he explained in one of the earlier posts. The laptop is dead now totally. I`m waiting to get the eeprom pragrammer so I can take the bios chip out and reprogram it like that. Any ideas what went wrong? Cheers

8. kerr123

kerr123 MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2014
    I have a bricked XPS 12 9Q33 after failed bios upgrade. I am stuck at very first step, extract bios file from dell exe file.
    cannot find anything from temp folder or extracted folder

[sorry, cannot post a http link due to my post count]
    bios link is www dot dell dot com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=M0X73

9. attama

attama MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2014
    Hi,

thanks for the Dell Bios recovery tutorial. I bricked the AMI BIOS of my Vostro 3550. I extracted the ROM File (3550A12.EXE, 3550-A11 and 3550-A09.EXE) renamed it to DN15A11.ROM, DN15A12.ROM and AMIBOOT.ROM. The USB Stick is identified, as the light is on, when plugged in all of the 3 USB connectors. But nothing happens... even when I pushed other combinations of Home+ or Ctrl+ Buttons.

I hope I used the wrong ROM Filename, but I don't know which Filename I should try or what I should try next in general.

I hope somebody can help me find the right Filename or know what to try. Thx

10. avis

avis MDL Junior Member

May 17, 2007
    Hi,

Bad luck... I have bricked my Dell Vostro 3350. The latest bios is A10, extracted both hdr and rom files to a USB stick, and tried several combinations of renaming the hdr file: 3350a10.hdr DN13A10.hdr and also renamed the rom file to DN13A10.rom as this is supposed to be the recovery file. Plugged in the USB stick, held the "end" key, and connected the power. I can see that the laptop reads the USB key for a few seconds and then nothing happens.

Any advice? Thanks

11. Outsyde

Outsyde MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2015
    Has anybody succsessfully performed a bios recovery on a dell latitude e6xxx series notebooks which use Dell Insyde bios?

I read earlier in this thread that earlier latitude models don't support recovery

If so what key combination did you use to initialize the recovery?

I have an e6520 which I have been unable to perform recovery on so far

I think the notebook has a corrupted bios, I can turn the notebook on but it never gets past the Dell splash screen, the progress bar reaches then end but it won't boot
    If I try and enter the bios I get the "preparing to enter setup message" but it never enters the bios

should the battery indicator turn orange in response to the key combination or the usb stick being plugged in?

12. bluedigital

bluedigital MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2013
    I had a similar problem with my E7240 (after a bios update) i had to unplug the small flat cell battery which is attached to the motherboard to reset the bios. After that it worked again.

13. McMA

McMA MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2015
    Hi!, I have inspiron 7447 laptop, is there any way I can flash the bios manually , since this laptop is already brick due to bios error,
    another is how can I extract the bios from this file 7447A00.EXE
    thanks

14. EgYGmR

EgYGmR MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2015
    Dell inspiron use "END" key.

15. willy_poodle

willy_poodle MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2017
    How can I recover Dell Inspiron 560 (Service tag: 3ZYGM4J)?
    I have updated from a00 to a06 in Windows and it won't boot anymore, there's no signal to the monitor and the keyboard doesn't work so I can't push any combination on it.
    I've got BIOS file extracted to FlashTmp folder by opening exe file and I've copied it to USB flash drive with different names and extensions with no luck.
    What's the proper name and how to do it without a keyboard?

16. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    you are better off using CH341A usb programmer (from another pc) and SPI header just on top of cmos battery and flash..

first make backup.bin to compare to bios extracted in hexeditor

17. tecnezio

tecnezio MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2011
    The bios recovery procedure worked correctly on a Dell Inspiron 7548
    Kingston 2Gb FAT32 USB memory stick on the left USB port. File name: 7548.HDR

18. ride_bmx_mhell

ride_bmx_mhell MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2018
    writehdrfile didnt work for me,optiplex 5040