Creators Update may break your activation

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by genenioo, Apr 20, 2017.

1. genenioo

genenioo MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2007
    It happened to me. I happened to check my activation status (right click on 'This PC') and instead of the usual 'Windows is activated' it said that I should log on to the internet (of course I already was) to activate my copy of Windows, implying that I was not activated. So then I went into Settings and clicked on activation it gave me an error that the Windows activation servers could not be reached (tried this several times for a substantial period of time). I then proceeded to hit the activation troubleshooting icon, and after a minute I got a message saying that my system was licensed with a digital hardware license for Windows 10 Pro and that I should install Windows 10 Pro, apparently to make use of such license (I at the time had and still have Windows 10 Pro on the system).

Having no other apparent choice I took to the phone and eventually got a knowledgeable person who proceeded to try everything I had tried by remote access, of course to no avail. Long story short--I was told that this is a known issue and that it happens sometimes but not always when upgrading to the Creators Update and that my system was one of those that experienced the issue. After I gave them my original Windows 7 key from which I had upgraded to th1, th2, rs1 and now the Creators Update they wound up giving me a new Windows 10 Pro key with the advice that it would replace my 7 key and that that 7 key would no longer be valid. So now I am activated with the new key they gave me instead of the digital license--ok, I suppose, in my book (pretty sure that upgrading to 10 from 7 for free deactivates your old 7 key anyway). So don't forget to check your activation status if you've upgraded to the Creators Update or after you've upgraded should you plan to do so. Should you encounter this problem I am advised that the best phone number to call (at least in the U.S.) is (800) 642-7676.

Update: Please list your results with the update. In other words, are you still activated?

2. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    No issue here, several clean installs on real machine, and an upgrade in VM

3. Lodge

Lodge MDL Novice

May 31, 2016
    No issues with creators update here.
    Prior to installing the creators update, I had "refreshed" my PC via the settings application. After that, I installed the creators update without any activation issues.

4. taviruni

taviruni MDL Senior Member

May 8, 2010
    I had same behaviour on x64 Pro, but as I removed some Apps I thought it was the reason.

Did you make any change?

alacran

5. genenioo

genenioo MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2007
    No, no changes. Why would Windows activation be related to apps?

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Why to scare people, if it is completely unreasonable.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. genenioo

genenioo MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2007
    Not trying to scare anyone. Just relaying what happened to me. From responses so far it looks like my experience is an exception to the norm--let's hope so.

8. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    #8 RJARRRPCGP, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    For all I know, Microsoft may have F-ed up permissions and caused the activation-related stuff to fail with "Access is denied.". I once saw a similar kind of BS, apparently starting with XP x64, where there's an error in the event log on a fresh install waiting for everybody, saying that permission wasn't granted for a component.

Seen a similar kind of thing before with a Windows build update. How absurd!

I suspect that, because it looks like a query failure...(Microsoft! What did you just do?)
    (The last bit, where it refuses to believe you have an activated Pro)

---------
    Additionally, it does remind me of an issue I had with Windows 7 a good while ago, where Windows 7 would randomly
    display "This copy of Windows is not genuine." on the bottom right and if you reboot, it likely then will go on like nothing happened.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Mine broke, but I tweaked the crap out of the OS, so I don't think it counts...

10. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Happened to me once out of dozens. slmgr -ato fixed it.

11. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Not happend to me on upgrade and clean install but today it's gonna break my new motherboard will arrive hehe :)

12. herpherp

herpherp Guest

how to avoid the update?

13. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    I normally would suspect a malware. But, I'm suspicious that the update was rushed...

14. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Between April 12 and April 15, I upgraded seven Windows 10 installations to the Creators Update, two of which are ours. Five hardware computers went fine, one VM upgrade was fine and one VM lost its activation. The Windows 10 VM which was activated with The Microsoft Tool Kit retained its activation; the Windows 10 VM which was an earlier digital entitlement upgrade form Windows 7 lost its activation. The owner of the one with lost activation had me delete it entirely since he never used it anyway he claimed and it was just taking up space. That meant I had no chance to try and fix the lost activation. All upgrades were from the anniversary edition of Windows 10.

And yes, all that retained their activation initially are still activated.

15. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I have some systems with Win8.1 Pro OEM-DM keys in them. I always install using the Manufacturers Pro default key with OA3.
    Windows normally automatically reads my key & activates as OEM_DM Channel. All editions of Win 8.1 through to around Win10 14393.321 behaved in this way.

Since that build (approx) Windows no longer reads & accepts that key - I need to copy & paste the key in. The systems do then activate but change to Retail with Digital Entitlement.

You can see this happen when I install 14393.321, the system has read my key & lists my key with slmgr /dli. If I then install a new CU, it reverts to the Retail key...

16. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    nope no problems so far but I see defenders back and a few other app's I didn't want arrrggg

17. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    WUMT in Sig