Can recovery disks be edited to work with any hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by windowwiper, Feb 13, 2017.

1. windowwiper

windowwiper MDL Junior Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Do you know how to find the restriction in the BIOS and reverse it?

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Nope, no clue, i check the BIOS sub-forums for such info.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #23 urie, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    I suggest you start reading some basics as regards to partition and disc cloning first as already advised then you can mess about as much as you like, if not your handle will be true :rolleyes: windowiper period.

And yes it is possible to make boot dvd from vista recovery partition I did one years back that contained wim image, you need to access hidden partition via third party software.

But as already stated recovery images from oem manufacturers are tied to information contained in bios, slic, slp, DMI, info to name just a few parts also some recovery partitions can contain several SWFs as stated already these can total to more than standard dvd size. As for bios restrictions forget it unless you really know what you are doing bad enough messing up a windows recovery but even worst if bios gets corrupted every recovery partition or disks wont help with that :weep:

4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I still think that is a load of rubbish. I used to do Sony upgrades & never saw that from Sony or any other manufacturer.
    If anything, perhaps it would check if you had a Sony product.

Are you trying to restore to a smaller drive? Perhaps the recovery is unable to make the required partitions...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  6. windowwiper

Feb 7, 2017
  7. windowwiper

Feb 7, 2017
    No i amtrying to find out if the way the computer can only use a certain drive can be circumvented
    I don't know., it came from Sony.

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  9. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Then as first step; stop reading selectively. urie and others already hinted, that this is mostly controlled by several BIOS settings.

With your state of knowledge it's a highly lethal minefield!

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    obviously there is some misunderstanding. Why don't you tell us the model number of this pc, and the name brand and model number of the hard drive you have Windows Vista on, and the name brand and model number of the "new" hard drive your attempting to install with the recovery disk. Does the "new" hard drive show up in your bios? Does this "new" hard drive any anything else on it currently?

11. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    You haven't tried it on a new drive? You don't even have a new drive yet?
    What a waste of everyone's time! Thanx Mr wiper. :hummer:

12. windowwiper

Feb 7, 2017
    #34 windowwiper, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    (OP)
    never said i had. not my fault you did not read it properly

here is op
    later i said sony told me it will not work and i want to find out if it cabe bypassed before buying a new disk

I also said this was just an exercise in learning. And no one is forcing you to be involved, you are free to stay out of this if you wish