best windows 10 version for gaming?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by aboskolo, Apr 30, 2017.

1. aboskolo

aboskolo MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2011
    Which version of Windows 10 is best for gaming -home or Pro or Enterprise edition ?

2. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
    Pro or Enterprise which are mostly same just different key/activation. I would choose these over Home Edition so code can be switched off using gpedit.msc.
    Enterprise can be activated using kms --- see the advice here @ MDL.
    I'm not a gamer, for Windows 10 I would use Enterprise LTSB 2016 instead. - no apps etc running.

3. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I am not a gamer, but trying to reason, Home is more sparing on resources and should be slightly better with games which place high demands on them.

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Whichever one you have installed, I seriously doubt there will be any noticeable difference in performance between them

If anything, LTSB without all the app crap to reduce resource usage, but IMO it won't make a difference unless your PC has the power of a potato to start with

5. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    There are of course so called "game boosters" but don't set your expectations too high. The best you can do is stop all apps running in the background, including AV and F/W (disconnect from the web first). However, leave services alone, or your system may refuse to start next time.

6. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Best version is ....... proberly the one with less resources running so that will be LTSB version IMO

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    To endbase I agree 100% whith you but at least for me first make job with MSMG Toolkit then the user have one rocket trust me dude :):p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    im running a few games on pro and they run pretty smooth....u need 8gigs of ram minimum with no less than I5 decent video card and of course a SSD makes a big difference;)

9. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    according to the video is still all about what hardware your running.

10. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Does LTSB version get updates at all? I know it does not get features, but what about bug fixes, security hole patches, etc.?

11. vuze4u

vuze4u MDL Member

Apr 24, 2010
    LTSB is just like Pro edition with different name, it is the most stripped down version from MS still comes with all gaming functions intact, i've been using LTSB for gaming a while everything works just like Home/Pro edition anyway.
    -Edit-
    Except you might have problem with Windows Store games, i never bought games from the app store so idk the way around that.

It still gets security patches and fixes from regular CU.

12. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    But it has no Game Mode AFAIK...

13. intruder16

intruder16 MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2014
    "Game Mode" is just a fancy name for yet another "Game Booster" which never works. Want real Game Mode? Buy a better GPU. End of story.

14. natr0n

natr0n MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2015
    I use ltsb. I'm a gamer(mostly emulation) with no issues, no bulls**t apps.

All "game mode" tools/apps just disable services like printer and s**t. If you do some research like blackvipers services site you can fine tune your system.

As always close of s**t you dont need running. Helps to have decent system as well.

15. Feniksrising

Feniksrising MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Ofcourse it does, it is for business. They need security and bug fixes too.

But Enterprise LTSB gets a lot less of security updates and bug fixes because there's considerably less to fix in the first place without all the bloatware.

16. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Indeed, I have noticed this thing running, even with game mode disabled.
    Code:
    takeown /f "%WinDir%\System32\GameBarPresenceWriter.exe" /a
    icacls "%WinDir%\System32\GameBarPresenceWriter.exe" /grant:r Administrators:F /c
    taskkill /im GameBarPresenceWriter.exe /f
    del "%WinDir%\System32\GameBarPresenceWriter.exe" /s /f /q

17. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    There's now also Win 10S, which is very light and free too. But read about its limitations before getting it, e.g. it only accepts Store apps.