All about UEFI. Both threads are merged. Beta testers are welcome.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by doakh, Oct 21, 2009.

1. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    I think Yen is right, Sony support is your best hope. Tell them your laptop powered off when you were trying to update your EFI. They should be able to help you .

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. James D

James D MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2011
    I think if Sony lapops's owners's best hope is Sony Support then all they are royally screwed. Owner's thread of only F model on one forum contains 6 threads 400 pages each because support put balls on all us.

Their favorite copy-paste are:
    - please use recovery DVDs to recover to factory settings and
    - your laptop works only with OS shipped with your laptop. You can't install any other (for example Win 7 Ultimate or even same version!)

Now they told me that they are geniouses. I mean they told that this problem is hardware related. 1 guy asked if I can go into Windows after I told him that my laptop launches but doesn't boot and black screen. WOW, THEY ARE FAST! And gave me number where I can find closest service center

Here you go. You should like it. However I haven't tried it yet. APTIO Recovery http :// depositfiles . com/files/cazgjhk1l

3. James D

James D MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2011
    Sorry for doublepost.

While modding BIOS I not just changed Access/Use but ALSO changed value of Hyper-Threading. I set it to Disable on Default and on Fail-Safe it is Enabled. Could this be a problem I get?

CAN I JUST PUT A PROCESSOR WHICH DOESN'T SUPPORT HT AND IT WILL WORK?

I need any answer or just say that you saw it because I wait and check this thread every hour

4. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    looking through the EDK (EFI Developers kit) I have found some example code to read and modify the NVRAM,
    so my question is will just inserting SLP20Marker, SLP20OEMPublicKey and SLP20EncryptedOEMPublicKey
    into the NVRAM on any (U)EFI motherboard work for Windows activation, does the BIOS present the
    data to Windows in some way, or does Windows look in the NVRAM for this data?

5. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    Good question.
    Where in the EDK is it??
    I think you probably need the SLPSupport module as well (the one the tools adds)

Andy

6. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    Acutally, ignore what I said above
    The SLPSupport module works when the pubkey and marker are in modules. It is nothing to do with data in NVRAM
    I think I did find which module in the ASUS EFI's seem to deal with the loading of the SLIC (and pasted some code in the other thread), but can't remmeber what it was called
    I don't think inserting stuff into the NVRAM is a generic solution, unless there is also a module we can add to generate a SLIC from it, and insert that SLIC as an ACPI table. But then, the NVRAM is not needed, as if you could create a generic module we could add to any EFI to generate a SLIC (much like the code the SSV2 method in the tool adds), the SLIC could be contained within that module.
    I don't know enough about the ins and outs of EFI to know if this is possible
    Andy

7. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    What I am doing in the code is cutting up a a SLIC into the Marker and Public Key and inserting
    it the way o2intel.exe, I wrote a SLIC injector for EFI, and a user was insisting that it was
    unnecessary because all I had to do was insert the key and marker into the NVRAM and Windows
    would activate, I was skeptical but thought I'd give it a try.

with EFI you can call GetVariable() and supply the GUID and variable name and it will give you a pointer
    to the data and the size of the data, So you could store the whole SLIC and insert it in the ACPI tables
    or you could store Public Key and Marker and construct the header in code.

8. James D

James D MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2011
    Frankly I just don't get why everyone is still needing manual BIOS edit for slic.
    I just used Windows loader to activate OS on my UEFI Sony VAIO F and all was just fine. But I used v. 1.9.5. This one is newer. http : / / depositfiles . com / files / kf229xow1

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  10. nasa

nasa MDL Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Your bios is EFI, your Disk is probably MBR (not GPT). Daz Windows Loader doesn't support GPT disks (Yet...)

11. buoo

buoo MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2012
    Hi guys :)
    I've followed this guide h**p://g51jbsod.wikia.com/wiki/BIOS_disassembly to disassembly the BIOS of my P8Z68 Deluxe mobo, but after the decompression (step 6) I'm not able to go ahead. Could you explain me how to disassembly the files?

Thanks!

12. BIOSNOIDEA

BIOSNOIDEA MDL Senior Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Have we found our "Waterloo"??????

First my apologies for my extreme ignorance but looks like UEFI is impossible to "cook". A bit like doing an XBOX360 that bypassing tracks in the motherboard is the only way to bypass hardware chips that stops all?

Why don't we stick to Enterprise KMS on 127.0.0.1 ?

Am I pissing out the hole ?

13. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  14. diNovoM

diNovoM MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2009
    Hope i am in right section. So i want to mod an AsRock Z77 Pro3 (64MB AMI UEFI Bios). What i did: phoenixtool206, browse file/choose AsRock -> "Module" been selected, Dell Slic 2.1/SLP/Cert and go. That runs fine, its just that i would like to know if:

- That was correct way for this type? Can just try next week when board arrives.
    - Dell best SLIC for that Board?
    - How to flash - i somehow don't like to try in instant flash as i bricked an msi board in similar method - AsRock doesn't provide extra dos tool (only w. efi included) and couldn't find any infos on tool for AMI UEFI.

15. korjing

korjing MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2010
    Hi, i hope i post to the correct section

Does anybody can give a more simple explanation on how to edit/delete/detect module inside UEFI AMI APTIO ?

I got AMI MMTools for Aptio UEFI and i can open the AMI Aptio UEFI

What i need is to delete the onboard display card module inside the bios.

As you know most IBM SFF with M-ATX motherboard all come with onboard display card.
    My company need to kill this onboard display card without voiding the warranty and without killing the motherboard for our project.

I do hope you all understand what i mean

16. kattekop

kattekop MDL Novice

Apr 23, 2010
    What is the '42 43 D6 F1' header? It's referred to in Phoenix BIOS Editor and HP Compaq Evo Desktops use it in their rom file.
    See:
    00464DB4 . C745 C4 4243D6>MOV DWORD PTR SS:[EBP-3C],F1D64342
    My sloppy deCOMPAQt utility uses it to decompress a d330 Business Desktop from HP. Now I buy an old Compaq Evo
    and i see almost the same code again. I've tried to reverse it but he keeps testing registers and if I
    have no documentation I'm nowhere. One of the first things he does is cutting off 7 bits at the end of a number, set up a Huffman table (I maybe not right), and decode. The Cal for getting the codeword can be reversed, if you put one thing in, you get the other thing, put the other thing in you get the first thing back.
    Who knows more about the subject? There are masses op HP desktops floating around ;)

17. James D

James D MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2011
    Recovered BIOS yesterday.

18. turturikaboy

turturikaboy MDL Junior Member

Nov 11, 2013
    I have Dell M4600. What's the type of BIOS ?