About Dell BIOS recovery

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by redalerthan, Dec 5, 2009.

1. eXelixi

eXelixi MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2014
    Dell 1535 filename???

Hello.. Name of the file pls?

2. ls3c6

ls3c6 MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2014
    Have a bricked Dell 1745, created crisis disk with XP x86, has proper BIOS.WPH I extracted from archive.

Plugging in while holding END does nothing, no fans, also no fans when turning on with end held but machine does turn on. what now?

3. d3n7s

d3n7s MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2014
    Hi everybody very grateful to you all.
    I have a bricked Dell Inspiron 14z-5423 and would like to request any assistance you can gave me, i had done all the steps referred in the beginning about:

1. I have downloaded the bios file from Dell official Site (i had two the basic bios 5423A00.EXE and the latest 5423A13.EXE)
    2. I have extracted the .hdr file from both files using the /writehdrfile command and already have 5423a00.hdr and 5423a13.hdr extracted files.

Now, I could not locate any tool that allow me to know the correct file name in order to rename this files that i already have. First, i though that after i had the .hdr file i could format a 512mb memory flash as FAT and copy the file and do all the remaining steps of the process, but i was wrong couse the lap doesnt start and the sreen remain black, so obviously the flash process dint succeed. So, i request any help you can provide me, starting by what is the correct name for the .hdr that i extract from a xxxx.exe file of the bios, couse i think that's the main issue

4. emadmekawy

emadmekawy MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2014
    Hello
    i need hdr file for dell precision m4500
    bios now is a15 with error #jhrnxn1-1f5a
    thanks

5. OrhanAdar

OrhanAdar MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2014
    Hello

I have now read trough mydigitallife BIOS section for 2 hours and need help.
    I have two laptops E5420 and E5430.

And both of them seems to be 1D3B and after hours of reading i understand that there is no BIOS password generator except for the payservices.

But there seems to be recover BIOS option.
    And its here i get stuck.

I have downloaded 4 BIOS exe files and tryed to generate HDR file but it wont work.

E5420A01.exe -writehdrfile
    E5420A02.exe -writehdrfile
    E5420A03.exe -writehdrfile

Even tryed with "E5420A00.exe -writeromfile"

It doesnt generate any files.

Does anybody have a clue on how to get HDR files on those exe?
    It seems that this is the only option to get rid of the Bios password.
    If somebody has other option, that would be grate to.

Thanks in advance, and sory for my bad english, im from sweden

6. OrhanAdar

OrhanAdar MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2014
    I have now finnaly extracted the HDR wile from EXE with Python.
    But now to the new problem, how should i renew the HDR File?

When i open the HDR file with WinHEX i get a lot of text with PFS.HDR at the top

HGow should i name the HDR?

Thanks

7. kerr123

kerr123 MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2014
    Anyone can help extract XPS 12 9Q33 A06 BIOS?
    9Q33_A06_x64.exe

I have a bricked DELL XPS 12, tried andy's tool/ UEFI python script/ checked the temp folder(works for XP 13)/writehdrfile switch
    but none of those can extract the BIOS file from DELL exe file.
    :worthy::worthy:

8. rator10

rator10 MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2014
    hello,
    I have Dell E6410 with service tag: 92LR0P1-1F5A, dell support give me a password but it's wrong, now I extract the hdr file but I don't understand how rename it, I rename with E6410A16.hdr and put it on USB stick, presss end button and plug the AC power, the led is blinking orange and the usb stick do nothing, I think to buy a password or motherboard on ebay, can you help me? I agree a lot, If you want to see my hdr file I put on dropbox, here is the link:
    h t t p s:// dl . dropboxusercontent . com/ u /101720232/ E6410A16.hdr

9. Rackshase

Rackshase MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2014
    The same problem. Anybody can help with this? Notebook Dell name is really Rotchild, as was written, but ROT????.hdr doesn't work.:confused:

10. justmaybe888

justmaybe888 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2013
    For clarification
    In instructions for rom to bin, use lzss-r
    when searching with winhex, uncheck the match case box.

11. morfej

morfej MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    #271 morfej, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    hello,

Fix it.

You need BIOS.CAP and than somehow boot some thing.

The biggest problem is that SATA is not working when bios is lodad from USB file BIOS.CAP.

I at the end used PXE booting from other computer and managed to boot BartPe image with prepared winflash and wph file.

Regards,
    morfej

12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    rothschild

13. orange_dragon

orange_dragon MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2015
    I have a Dell E6410 and E6420 I have been trying to downgrade the bios on. I followed the procedure to extract the .hdr with the python tool, and used the phoenix tool and looked in the dump folder through all the files with a hex editor and found the "hdr" string. Then I tried renaming the file about 30 different things, none of which seemed to work. Can anyone possibly point me in the right direction? I don't mind doing the work to figure it out, I'm just at a loss currently and unsure as to how to proceed. Thanks in advance.

14. orange_dragon

orange_dragon MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2015
    Thank you for the prompt reply. I read through all of that multiple times. That's where I got some of the info that has gotten me as far as I am. I just don't know what I'm missing in order to move forward. Possibly I've overlooked some detail. Very frustrating. No one ever seems to speak of a final outcome. Hopefully I just haven't found my way there yet and it is not a dead end.

15. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    recovery seems to not work due to new EFI type and possibly altered by dell.
    however boards in ebay are about $45

seems the security is in a 3rd chip not standard spi.

16. orange_dragon

orange_dragon MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2015
    Thank you. At least now I can stop chasing my own tail.

17. Dr.Fatal

Dr.Fatal MDL Novice

Sep 28, 2015
    E5510 recovery

Hi There!

I'm searching for information for BIOS recovery steps for DELL Latitude E5510 unit.
    I've extracted hdr file from official Dell's BIOS update, but not sure in the correct file name. I've tried to copy it as PFS.HDR and PFSA01.HDR to the USB flash drive and CD.
    When I'm holding END key and connecting power, unit's power led starts blinking blue/orange but nothing happens...

Regards

18. yankoniye

yankoniye MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2015
    i followed forum and created M6600A15.hdr for dell precision m6600 , bios name was M6600A15.exe , i do not know if i did correct . I read some info here that this method is not working for dell m6600 , is it correct ? any experience ? i afraid to get bricked computer

19. sfarrukh

sfarrukh MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2014
    hello friends,
    i am in need of your help. i have a dell inspiron 3521, it power on but nothing comes on screen, i only hear a knocking sound like tuck tuck. i believe its bios problem. can anyone guide me how to recover its bios.?
    thanks in advance.