A consideration and alternative to whatsapp!!!

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by Yen, Mar 18, 2014.

1. GonadMan

GonadMan MDL Novice

Jun 22, 2011
    1 9 b i l l i o n ? !?! ?!? ?!

2. cybermiguel

cybermiguel MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2011
    Exactly my thoughts. Besides, one does not live on an island and use the phone to communicate with other people and it happens that almost all the other people use one or two of those three services, so it's almost like an obligation to have them.

Heck, in my country, Whatsapp is so popular that telcos, electricity, water and gas companies have a "whatsapp number" as an added channel for customer care. Radios and TV channels also receive voice and text messages via whatsapp and is very common to listen on the radio things like "wanna contact us? call us at xxx-xx-xx or send us a message to our whatsapp at zzz-zz-zz".

Anyway, whatsapp may not be the best thing...not by far, but since everybody has it...

3. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. YessMann

YessMann MDL Member

Nov 27, 2012
    How about the Google HANGOUTS which is built in on the Android Fone

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. toodirt

toodirt MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2014
    Google also has it's problems with privacy! Still better then whatsup, the problem is that there is still quite few users on other os like wp and ios and hangout won't work there I believe.

6. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    I do not seek extra privacy while using the internet simply because it is an open network, so I cannot recommend an SMS app in response to your query.

I will add that I have since ditched Textnow because I could not tolerate their horrible flashing, flickering ads that make it hard to use.

Instead I now use textPlus Gold and it is serving me quite well.

7. foldonce

foldonce MDL Junior Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Ohh alright.. been looking for an app that could replace my text messaging app. I still use text because it's much more reliable, internet connection here sucks so bad. 3rd world countries. :death:

8. David34

David34 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Another alternative IRC probably no one here heard about it ;) there's android irc so you can use it on your phone. I also use BBM sometimes

9. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
  10. Kaaalz

Kaaalz MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2012
    You should consider adding Signal. It works flawleslly and is NSA proof

11. frozendwarf

frozendwarf MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2015
    I'll never used Viber, WhatsAPP or similar. This one sounds not too commercial, yet. I'll try it out. Thanks.

12. frozendwarf

frozendwarf MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2015
    NSA proof? I believe NSA went already thru all apple's products and left a mark..

13. toodirt

toodirt MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2014
    Viber has the best sound quality, but lately has been some issues with calls durations, it drops sometimes after just five minutes.
    Tango was really good, had video as well, but now just does not work at all, tried two different phones, same issue.
    Whastupp works pretty well but has not privacy, the problem is that people are just pretty much using it, even forgetting sms or email for somethings.

14. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #35 gorski, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    Threema is now €2.49 (and rising, thanx to What'sUp, it seems... :D )...

FOrget myEnigma, btw - they send nothing... grrrr.... :mad:

15. mdl_anon

mdl_anon MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2015
    #36 mdl_anon, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    Wikr is far better

Why not wickr.com? It's free and more secure.

16. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
  17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I don't want to scare somebody nor I am scared nor do I want to blame what's app...:)

I want people be aware that what's app has been acquired for 18 billion and is available for free!!!!

Up to everybody to think about how that fits to an encryption/privacy....;)
    I mean what would be left (to sale) if nobody of them could decrypt the contents anymore?! And if they can who else can?

It is just common sense...;)