Thread: Gtx1070 in pcie x16 + amd 6570 in pcie x4 Need Help

MDL Novice
    Thanks Information

Question Gtx1070 in pcie x16 + amd 6570 in pcie x4 Need Help

My monitor is plugged into my amd card via dvi. So far as long as my gtx1070 is plugged into my mobo it seems to be my main display device even though it is not plugged into my monitor. If i unplug the gtx1070 from the mother bored the other card works fine while in the pciex4 slot. Is there a way to force my amd card to be the one my system uses by default. maybe this is a linux question.
    Last edited by LdMad; 21 Mar 2017 at 04:45. Reason: clarify

Thanks Information

Which MoBo is it? What OS are you running?

Is there a way to set the primary Video card in the BIOS?
    "He who works with his hands is a laborer.
    He who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands, his mind, and his heart is an artist."
    ― Saint Francis of Assisi

“The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.”
    ― Werner Heisenberg

I'd rather clean latrines in the armies of Heaven, than be a general in the armies of Hell.
    ― (Guess... )

Thanks Information

Quote Originally Posted by LdMad View Post
    My monitor is plugged into my amd card via dvi. I dont need my gtx 1070 plugged into a monitor since im going to be passing it to my QEMU virtual machine using kvm-pci-passthrough. So far as long as my gtx1070 is plugged into my mobo it seems to be my main display device even though it is not plugged into my monitor. If i unplug the gtx1070 from the mother bored the other card works fine while in the pciex4 slot. Is there a way to force my amd card to be the one my system uses by default. maybe this is a linux question.
    If you are not going to be using the GTX 1070 as you said then disable it at Device Manager.

MDL Novice
    Thanks Information

So sorry guys/gals for not getting back so soon. I have the M5a97 r2 motherboard. I could not find a way to change what card is primary. I really wish it had that feature. I also want to clarify that i did end up needing to use another screen and have both cards plugged into there own monitor. I now have a completely functioning OVMF PCI passthrough on my linux Host with a windows 10 guest having the amd card in the x4 slot. The linux system is unfortunately stuck with the gtx1070. I am just so glad there are so many people out there willing to help and i only wish i could return the favor. Things i learned was: (1) you can pass x4 pcie slots to qemu, (2) I did not loose much gpu performance using a low end card in the x4 slot. (3) It is a hassle and maybe impossible to pass primary card to a Guest VM.

MDL Novice
    Thanks Information

I have started another thread dealing with my quest for the perfect pci-passthrough linux/windows gaming setup. It is located in the linux section and titled "(pci/peg boot) dual amd+nvidia gpu (qemu-kvm+pci-passthrough) or somthing like that. Here i just want to clarify to one of the other above comments that i did indeed have an option in my bios that may help me pass-through the gtx1070 in the first x16 slot. It is called (PEG/pci boot device) PEG stands for pci express graphics and pci for the other pci slots i guess. since i have a working config with the x4 slot being passed through to vm i am going to install another arch linux system and try the bios feature to change primary gpu boot device. thanks again and sorry to the person who mentioned for me to look for this feature. You were right about it being there. i will try to post back on my results for some sort of conclusion.

MDL Novice
    Thanks Information

I read what you said and realized i didnt know how i wanted to word my problem. I actually do need both cards plugged into a monitor.