Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: [SOLVED] Windows 10 higher DPI - Win8DpiScaling problem

  1. #1
    MDL Novice
    Join Date
    20 Jun 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks Information

    Default [SOLVED] Windows 10 higher DPI - Win8DpiScaling problem

    Hello Everyone,

    I apologize in advance if this thread has been posted in the wrong place and kindly ask the mods to please move it accordingly if found so. I am present on the forums for quite some time, however I normally just read the content. I have searched the forums, but did not find similar thread anywhere.

    I am having issues with the DPI settings in Windows 10 and was wondering if one of you guys could help shed some light or offer tips to help solve my problem.

    The problem is related to the DPI slider setting that allows us to make various elements of the Windows 10 UI bigger by setting the slider to 125% position. That sadly also has a consequence of stretching the runned apps to a point where they become pixelated and blurry.

    In Windows 8.1 there was a setting called “Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays” which was completely satisfactory to me as it made so that non high DPI aware apps to ignore higher scaling and display in 100% scaling mode.

    My goal I would like to achieve is having DPI of 125% (120 dpi), while also having all the apps run in 100% scaling (96 dpi).

    I have searched the network for solutions and came across settings available via regedit HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop, mainly Win8DpiScaling.

    According to the documentation here*, when set to 1 it should de facto enable the flag “Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays” not present anymore in Windows 10 and grant the same behavior I am seeking for apps to follow.

    Sadly, it is not the case in Windows 10, even with it set to 1 and then custom DPI slider set to 125% the apps are still opening streached and blurry (in Windows 8.1 with this setting on, apps would open in 100% scaling and ignore the DPI setting, while other elements of the system UI were bigger).

    The only alternative that I found to make this work, is to set the Compatibility flag on every single application I run, which was not needed in Windows 8.1 with the “Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays” set.

    * unable to post links, here is the one in question: technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn528846.aspx
    ** Guide that I tried but also did not work: tenforums.com/tutorials/5990-dpi-scaling-level-displays-change-windows-10-a.html

    I have also played with other values described here*, but to no avail.

    I was wondering if any of you experienced with the system could be so kind to offer me some tips, or maybe there is something I've missed?

    Thanks in advance!

    EDIT - Workaround posted by user Fra31 in post #3

    Quote Originally Posted by Fra31 View Post
    Hi dud I've just found the solution. You have also to modify the key DpiScalingVer from decimal value 4096 to 4120, reboot and it works. Sorry for my english xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Fra31 View Post

    Edit 1: It works but after a reboot it returns to 4096, i don't know which application modify the value.

    Edit 2: I couldn't found who is the program that modify the value but I found a workaround. I create a script that, every time pc boot it edits the key value. You have to put the .cmd file in auto start folder. Here is the command, you also have the Win8DpiScaling value to 1 and the LogPixel decimal value to 120. Sorry for my english

    REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v DpiScalingVer /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00001018 /f
    DETAILED:

    Quote Originally Posted by rafalek View Post

    In order for it to work, you need to make sure it is applied at each log on - either set it via batch file and drop to Autostart or use Task Manager and set up new task upon each login.

    When you do it properly, everything displays correctly. If you only apply it once and relog, system will automatically set DPIScalingVer back to the defaults.

    Here is the content of the file DPI_Fix.cmd file I used (set as Task upon each login):

    Code:
    REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v DpiScalingVer /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00001018 /f
    REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v Win8DpiScaling /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001 /f
    REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v LogPixels /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000078 /f


    again it is crucial to either drop it into Autostart or add as Task. I prefer the task option as it does not result with quick flash of the command window when logging in.
    Last edited by rafalek; 20 Jul 2015 at 06:05.

  2. #2
    MDL Guru Hadron-Curious's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Jul 2014
    Location
    NIGERIA
    Posts
    3,002
    Thanks Information

    Default

    Have you installed your system maker chipset and graphic drivers?

  3. #3
    MDL Novice
    Join Date
    18 Jul 2015
    Posts
    3
    Thanks Information

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rafalek View Post
    Hello Everyone,

    I apologize in advance if this thread has been posted in the wrong place and kindly ask the mods to please move it accordingly if found so. I am present on the forums for quite some time, however I normally just read the content. I have searched the forums, but did not find similar thread anywhere.

    I am having issues with the DPI settings in Windows 10 and was wondering if one of you guys could help shed some light or offer tips to help solve my problem.

    The problem is related to the DPI slider setting that allows us to make various elements of the Windows 10 UI bigger by setting the slider to 125% position. That sadly also has a consequence of stretching the runned apps to a point where they become pixelated and blurry.

    In Windows 8.1 there was a setting called “Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays” which was completely satisfactory to me as it made so that non high DPI aware apps to ignore higher scaling and display in 100% scaling mode.

    My goal I would like to achieve is having DPI of 125% (120 dpi), while also having all the apps run in 100% scaling (96 dpi).

    I have searched the network for solutions and came across settings available via regedit HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop, mainly Win8DpiScaling.

    According to the documentation here*, when set to 1 it should de facto enable the flag “Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays” not present anymore in Windows 10 and grant the same behavior I am seeking for apps to follow.

    Sadly, it is not the case in Windows 10, even with it set to 1 and then custom DPI slider set to 125% the apps are still opening streached and blurry (in Windows 8.1 with this setting on, apps would open in 100% scaling and ignore the DPI setting, while other elements of the system UI were bigger).

    The only alternative that I found to make this work, is to set the Compatibility flag on every single application I run, which was not needed in Windows 8.1 with the “Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays” set.

    * unable to post links, here is the one in question: technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn528846.aspx
    ** Guide that I tried but also did not work: tenforums.com/tutorials/5990-dpi-scaling-level-displays-change-windows-10-a.html

    I have also played with other values described here*, but to no avail.

    I was wondering if any of you experienced with the system could be so kind to offer me some tips, or maybe there is something I miss?

    Thanks in advance!

    Hi dud I've just found the solution. You have also to modify the key DpiScalingVer from decimal value 4096 to 4120, reboot and it works. Sorry for my english xD

    Edit 1: It works but after a reboot it returns to 4096, i don't know which application modify the value.

    Edit 2: I couldn't found who is the program that modify the value but I found a workaround. I create a script that, every time pc boot it edits the key value. You have to put the .cmd file in auto start folder. Here is the command, you also have the Win8DpiScaling value to 1 and the LogPixel decimal value to 120. Sorry for my english

    REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v DpiScalingVer /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00001018 /f
    Last edited by Fra31; 19 Jul 2015 at 06:19.

  4. #4
    MDL Novice
    Join Date
    20 Jun 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks Information

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fra31 View Post
    Hi dud I've just found the solution. You have also to modify the key DpiScalingVer from decimal value 4096 to 4120, reboot and it works. Sorry for my english xD

    Edit 1: It works but after a reboot it returns to 4096, i don't know which application modify the value.

    Edit 2: I couldn't found who is the program that modify the value but I found a workaround. I create a script that, every time pc boot it edits the key value. You have to put the .cmd file in auto start folder. Here is the command, you also have the Win8DpiScaling value to 1 and the LogPixel decimal value to 120. Sorry for my english

    REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v DpiScalingVer /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00001018 /f
    Hey there,

    Thanks for sharing. I will have a look to see if the script will do the trick.

    I did experiment with the DpiScalingVer (this key was not present in the previous Windows) but each time after logging out this would reset.

    Will post when I test the script. Would be a nice interim solution provided it works.

    EDIT:

    Indeed it works as mentioned by you - thanks again Fra31!

    I will update the first post.
    Last edited by rafalek; 19 Jul 2015 at 15:21.

  5. #5
    MDL Novice
    Join Date
    23 Oct 2014
    Posts
    2
    Thanks Information

    Default

    Uhh is there a similar trick to downscale the DPI to lower points? I'd like to make everything smaller, like around 75-80% or so. I have a laptop and it's 1366x768 resolution just feels too less.

  6. #6
    MDL Novice
    Join Date
    18 Jul 2015
    Posts
    3
    Thanks Information

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Javagreen View Post
    Uhh is there a similar trick to downscale the DPI to lower points? I'd like to make everything smaller, like around 75-80% or so. I have a laptop and it's 1366x768 resolution just feels too less.
    I think you can't go below 100% but you can make icons smaller.

  7. #7
    MDL Senior Member
    Join Date
    30 Jul 2009
    Posts
    341
    Thanks Information

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rafalek View Post
    Hey there,

    Thanks for sharing. I will have a look to see if the script will do the trick.

    I did experiment with the DpiScalingVer (this key was not present in the previous Windows) but each time after logging out this would reset.

    Will post when I test the script. Would be a nice interim solution provided it works.

    EDIT:

    Indeed it works as mentioned by you - thanks again Fra31!

    I will update the first post.
    I tried this and it did not work for me. Check out the event viewer - it is still blurred. Do you see the same thing?

    mmc.exe is DPI unaware and everything related to it shows blurred fonts such as device manager, etc. When you look at the properties for mmc.exe there is no compatibility flag to set, so you are SOL when running at 120 DPI if the dpi unaware apps don't show this flag. Setting DPIScalingVer is reset when rebooting or logoff/logon.

  8. #8
    MDL Novice
    Join Date
    20 Jun 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks Information

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adric View Post
    I tried this and it did not work for me. Check out the event viewer - it is still blurred. Do you see the same thing?

    mmc.exe is DPI unaware and everything related to it shows blurred fonts such as device manager, etc. When you look at the properties for mmc.exe there is no compatibility flag to set, so you are SOL when running at 120 DPI if the dpi unaware apps don't show this flag. Setting DPIScalingVer is reset when rebooting or logoff/logon.
    You haven't used the solution properly.

    In order for it to work, you need to make sure it is applied at each log on - either set it via batch file and drop to Autostart or use Task Manager and set up new task upon each login.

    When you do it properly, everything displays correctly. If you only apply it once and relog, system will automatically set DPIScalingVer back to the defaults.

    Here is the content of the file DPI_Fix.cmd file I used (set as Task upon each login):

    Code:
    REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v DpiScalingVer /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00001018 /f
    REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v Win8DpiScaling /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001 /f
    REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v LogPixels /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000078 /f
    again it is crucial to either drop it into Autostart or add as Task. I prefer the task option as it does not result with quick flash of the command window when logging in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rafalek; 20 Jul 2015 at 01:07.

  9. #9
    MDL Guru Hadron-Curious's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Jul 2014
    Location
    NIGERIA
    Posts
    3,002
    Thanks Information

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fra31 View Post
    I think you can't go below 100% but you can make icons smaller.
    It should be possible in a system with higher resolution.

  10. #10
    MDL Novice
    Join Date
    18 Jul 2015
    Posts
    3
    Thanks Information

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hadron-Curious View Post
    It should be possible in a system with higher resolution.
    In accord to this table:

    DPI--->Scale Factor

    96--->100
    120--->125
    144--->150
    192--->200

    Every 25% of the scale factor corresponds to a difference of 24 dpi (120-96), so in theory if you set in registry key 72 you should have in Scale Factor 75%, may be it's possible.

Similar Threads

  1. [SOLVED]Boot problem Windows 7
    By bjorn96 in forum Windows 7
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10 Jan 2015, 20:35
  2. [Solved] Windows 8.1 Upgrade Problem
    By monkeyt in forum Windows 8
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11 Jan 2014, 21:44
  3. [SOLVED] problem with activation key windows 7
    By Fragment007 in forum Windows 7
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13 Dec 2012, 05:43
  4. SOLVED problem with windows backup
    By piercekalton in forum Windows 7
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09 Nov 2011, 00:16
  5. Windows 7 &&& svchost problem SOLVED
    By _office_ in forum Windows 7
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05 Nov 2009, 21:39

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •