Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Xenserver 6.2 and Xen 4.4 hvmloader with DELL SLIC 2.3

MDL Member
    Thanks Information

Quote Originally Posted by hidesan View Post
    The results are as follows:

XS6.5 + original hvmloader (no slic) + IGD passthrough + PCI passthrough = pass (So, I used DAZ's loader)
    at this point just mod the :
    xen/tools/firmware/hvmloader/acpi/acpi2_0.h
    xen/tools/firmware/hvmloader/acpi/build.c
    files then test to see if PCI & IGD pass-through still works, if they works then we can move up, if not try something different.

XS6.6.9 + original hvmloader (no slic) + PCI passthrough = fail
    Does the XS6.6.9 + original hvmloader (no slic) + IGD passthrough = pass

Thanks.

MDL Novice
    Thanks Information

Default There is a bug in hvmloader source code.

MDL Novice
    Thanks Information

Exclamation

I am going to stop this mod project until xenserver dundee is officially released.
    XS65 is based on CentOS5 and Xen 4.4.1, and the source code of hvmloader is still buggy. (I'm suspecting there's some modification on citrix hvmloader's source code.)
    All I need is SLIC23 and PCI passthrough and IGD passthrough at the same VM.

What a simple solution it is!!!
    (1) Install Windows7 x64 ultimate with original hvmloader on XS65
    (2) Activate the vm with DAZ's loader.
    (3) Upgrade for Windows 10 pro x64 without setting inheritances.
    (4) Then, you'll see a magic!! Windows10pro is activated when you finished upgrading.
    Last edited by hidesan; 10 Dec 2015 at 23:07.

MDL Junior Member oddballracing's Avatar
    Thanks Information

hidesan,

What a simple solution it is!!!
    (1) Install Windows7 x64 ultimate with original hvmloader on XS65
    (2) Activate the vm with DAZ's loader.
    (3) Upgrade for Windows 10 pro x64 without setting inheritances.
    (4) Then, you'll see a magic!! Windows10pro is activated when you finished upgrading.
    I was under the understanding that we were all on this endeavor to build a custom hvmloader for Creedence (XS6.5) and Dundee (6.6.9x) because DAZ's loader doesn't do XenServer's BIOS). I managed to do the slic thing with XS6.2 a couple years back, but I'm having a complete nightmare putting together a suitable build environment to compile from the Xen source RPM included with XS65ESP1023 (xen-4.4.1-1.9.0.508.28899.src.rpm). I remember that I did the build inside Dom0 on a running Xenserver Host back then. A couple packages (some bins some source) had to be pulled from various resource CDs in addition to upstream packages from the CentOS repositories (5.7 x86 was the ver/arch with 6.2 IIRC). I'm doing a test of DAZ's loader on a Windows 7 Pro VM in my XS6.5 production environment right now to test your latest theory.

fbifido,

I've seen your posts on the Xenserver.org blog comments, and I feel your pain (albeit I'm a couple months behind you). There seems to be too much written on the "ease" of the new build environments (mock seems to make sense, docker is lost on me), without much in the line of information on getting it set up. hidesan's info on the build environment seems to be the best I can find. I'm basically grasping at straws at the moment, and I've had to halt my 6.2 to 6.5 upgrade plans because of it.

I don't personally have a need (yet) for IGD or PCI passthrough, but I'm sure the day will come. For maintenance and failover reasons, having to start the VM on the host the BIOS strings were copied from is pointless to me so I've got to inject the SLIC into hvmloader. I'm not particularly keen on seeing this thread die, because I feel we're just getting started. Jumping to Dundee seems a little farfetched, albeit with a second BETA now available (6.6.91). I'm going to keep plugging away on this, but I have a couple questions regarding the build environment that you guys used.

1. Building on CentOS 5(.10), what kernel version were you using? the out of the box 2.6, or upgraded to 3.10 as used in XS Dom0?
    2. The OCaml and other unavailable from the base packages, did you manage to get them from EPEL, or did you have to pull in resources from the XS binpkg CD?
    3. What reason did you shy away from the source RPM packages? I'm trying to align as close to the non-slic hvmloader that I already have as far as everything else and am trying to use the XenServer SRC.RPM from the latest update 1023.

All help is much appreciated trying to wade my way through this labrynth.

Cheers,

Odd.
    Virtualized Insanity.

MDL Junior Member oddballracing's Avatar
    Thanks Information

sorry hidesan,

I shouldn't be so quick to conclude these things. I just read the release notes on loader v2.2.2 and it states this:

* Allowed the loader to be installed onto Xen again (if it doesnít work for you then it canít be fixed)
    I just tested this new version (I was trying with 2.2) with a Lenovo SLIC on Windows 7 and it seems successful. Albeit, I still wish to modify the hvmloader as a permanent solution, but this will do in a pinch.

Thanks,

Odd.
    Virtualized Insanity.

MDL Novice
    Thanks Information

odd,

I'm so glad to see that you could successfully inject SLIC on hvmloader. at XS65 environment.
    My situation is the same as it was before. Dundee doesn't work at my environment, however, this fault is not my side but for dundee side.
    Dundee developer recognized my situation as a bug in dundee and recorded at bugs.xenserver.org.
    I do believe they will (and are able to) develop enhanced dundee.

MDL Novice
    Thanks Information

Has anyone had any luck with XS7.0?

MDL Member
    Thanks Information

MDL Novice
    Thanks Information

So I upgraded the lab to XS7.1 forgetting about the SLIC modification. While I probably could go back to XS6.5, I'm going to try working through hvmloader 4.7.1 modifications. Just checking with you guys that you haven't already done this... @hidesan or @fbifido.

MDL Novice
    Thanks Information

Following the procedures highlighted in this thread also work for XenServer 7.1.