Page 1 of 17 1234 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 168

Thread: The Windows 7 SP1 USB Driver Bug (what it is and how to fix it)

  1. #1
    MDL Senior Member
    Join Date
    17 Jan 2011
    Posts
    354
    Thanks Information

    Exclamation The Windows 7 SP1 USB Driver Bug (what it is and how to fix it)

    Last edited by Enigma256; 14 Apr 2011 at 13:32.

  2. #2
    MDL Senior Member
    Join Date
    17 Jan 2011
    Posts
    354
    Thanks Information

    Default

    I just did an audit (though not a very thorough one), and it looks like winusb.sys is affected too, so I've edited the first post to reflect that. However, it looks like these are the only three files affected by this sort of installer bug, so I guess that's good...

  3. #3
    MDL Expert Myrrh's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Nov 2008
    Location
    MDL Secret Bunker
    Posts
    1,322
    Thanks Information

    Default

    Thanks for this very useful information.

    I would bet that on day of official release of SP1, there will be a critical update pushed to Windows Update to address this. At least you would hope so.

  4. #4
    MDL Addicted
    Join Date
    19 Jul 2009
    Posts
    584
    Thanks Information

    Default

    Just thougt i'd add, I used the sp1 installer and it updated all my usb drivers. (I just checked after reading your post) I suggest people check before they do this.

  5. #5
    MDL Senior Member
    Join Date
    17 Jan 2011
    Posts
    354
    Thanks Information

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RanCorX2 View Post
    Just thougt i'd add, I used the sp1 installer and it updated all my usb drivers. (I just checked after reading your post) I suggest people check before they do this.
    I think you are reading the driver version in the device manager. That will report 7601 because that version comes from whateve the INF says. The driver file details in the device manager, for reasons that I elaborated on in the other thread, do not always report versions correctly. I am referring to the versions of the driver files themselves, located in system32\drivers, and checked using Explorer (and not the device manager).

    I manage multiple live machines, different hardware, some 32-bit, some 64-bit. Every single one of them exhibits this problem. This problem is also reliably and consistently reproducible on some test VPCs that I have, and I have a friend who reports the exact same problem.

  6. #6
    MDL Member
    Join Date
    19 Jul 2009
    Posts
    241
    Thanks Information

    Default

    Strange, of the 3 files i did not find "winusb.sys" in system32\drivers folder; however it is found in winsxs repository. Is there anyone else having this observation? The system is a fresh install of win7 pro from the official integrated x86 iso.

  7. #7
    MDL Senior Member
    Join Date
    17 Jan 2011
    Posts
    354
    Thanks Information

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noyod View Post
    Strange, of the 3 files i did not find "winusb.sys" in system32\drivers folder; however it is found in winsxs repository. Is there anyone else having this observation? The system is a fresh install of win7 pro from the official integrated x86 iso.
    That's normal. Not all hardware configurations need or use winusb.sys, so it may not be active on your system. This is why my batch file has an "if exist" conditional check for winusb.sys.

  8. #8
    MDL Member
    Join Date
    19 Jul 2009
    Posts
    241
    Thanks Information

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma256 View Post
    That's normal. Not all hardware configurations need or use winusb.sys, so it may not be active on your system. This is why my batch file has an "if exist" conditional check for winusb.sys.
    Ohh, i see. The rig is just a netbook utilized as a test bed for new releases of win7.

  9. #9
    MDL Addicted
    Join Date
    19 Jul 2009
    Posts
    584
    Thanks Information

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma256 View Post
    I think you are reading the driver version in the device manager. That will report 7601 because that version comes from whateve the INF says. The driver file details in the device manager, for reasons that I elaborated on in the other thread, do not always report versions correctly. I am referring to the versions of the driver files themselves, located in system32\drivers, and checked using Explorer (and not the device manager).

    I manage multiple live machines, different hardware, some 32-bit, some 64-bit. Every single one of them exhibits this problem. This problem is also reliably and consistently reproducible on some test VPCs that I have, and I have a friend who reports the exact same problem.
    on my laptop the files you've talked about are all the newer sp1 versions, but after checking on my desktop they are still rtm versions.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator alextheg's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Jan 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,754
    Thanks Information

    Default

    Good share Enigma. I experienced those usb controller issues myself.
    "Two possibilities exist......Either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying" Arthur C. Clarke

Similar Threads

  1. Conexant Driver on Windows 10
    By AngryBird in forum Windows 10
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 18 Dec 2015, 03:27
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02 Dec 2015, 05:08
  3. Windows Driver Kit 8
    By pisthai in forum Application Software
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08 Apr 2013, 16:18
  4. Windows 8 driver?
    By curiousboy in forum Windows 8
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01 Jan 2013, 04:28
  5. Cat. 11.6 Windows 8 x86 and x64 Test Driver
    By t3nk3n in forum Windows 8
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16 Jun 2011, 03:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •